Thursday, January 16, 2014

Oscars 2014 Nominations

The Oscar time of the year has come around again. I keep talking about the Oscars every year because it's really the only tradition on this blog. Every year I talk about the Oscars that I don't really care about. But I continue to do so because it's one of the few stable things in my life.

This year I'm trying a different format. I will list a movie title, the poster (if I can find one), italicize what it's being nominated for, and then giving a comment or two if I have one. If there is any award that I would like a movie to win I will bold that specific nomination.

So let's get started!

American Hustle
Best Picture/Best Actor (Christian Bale)/Best Actress (Amy Adams)/Best Supporting Actor (Bradley Cooper)/Best Supporting Actress (Jennifer Lawrence)/Best Costume Design/Best Directing/Best Film Editing/Best Production Design/Best Original Screenplay

This film has seemed to go wild with getting a bunch of nominations. Like most movies being nominated, I haven't seen it. However, I am intrigued by it merely because of the cast. I really do hope this movie does well at the Oscars this year.




Nebraska
Best Picture/Best Actor (Bruce Dern)/Best Supporting Actress (Jane Squibb)/Best Cinematography/Best Directing/Best Original Screenplay



Captain Phillips
Best Picture/Best Supporting Actor (Barkhad Abdi)/Best Film Editing/Best Sound Editing/Best Sound Mixing/Best Adapted Screenplay

Something seem a little off in the nominations? To me the lack of Tom Hanks being nominated is very confusing. All the posters (and I think trailers, too) boast Tom Hanks being in the movie and yet he doesn't get nominated?



Philomena
Best Picture/Best Actress (Judi Dench)/Best Original Score/Best Adapted Screenplay


12 Years a Slave
Best Picture/Best Actor (Chiwetel Ejiofor)/Best Supporting Actor (Michael Fassbender)/Best Supporting Actress (Lupita Nyong'o)/Best Costume Design/Best Directing/Best Film Editing/Best Production Design/Best Adapted Screenplay

Before any of you get up in arms about what I did and didn't bold: I didn't see this film and so can only go on the actor or actress I am familiar with.


Dallas Buyers Club
Best Picture/Best Actor (Matthew McConaughey)/Best Supporting Actor (Jared Leto)/Best Film Editing/Best Makeup and Hairstyling/Best Original Screenplay


Gravity
Best Picture/Best Actress (Sandra Bullock)/Best Cinematography/Best Directing/Best Film Editing/Best Original Score/Best Production Design/Best Sound Editing/Best Sound Mixing/Best Visual Effects

Now I would love for Gravity to walk away with wins for all its nominations (it's my favorite movie of 2013), but there are some I will be okay if it doesn't win. Bullock should win an Oscar as she basically carried the entire movie. If she had failed the movie wouldn't have been worth that much of a damn.


The Wolf of Wall Street
Best Picture/Best Actor (Leonardo DiCaprio)/Best Supporting Actor (Jonah Hill)/Best Directing/Best Adapted Screenplay

I am just hoping that DiCaprio FINALLY wins an Oscar. He more than deserves it. Hell, he wasn't even nominated for Inception! Give the man an Oscar already!


Her
Best Picture/Best Original Score/Best Original Song ("The Moon Song")/Best Production Design/Best Original Screenplay

When I first saw a trailer for this movie I thought it was creepy. There's an episode of The Big Bang Theory where Raj falls in love with Siri and I can't help but think of that when seeing trailers for this movie.


Blue Jasmine
Best Actress (Cate Blanchett)/Best Supporting Actress (Sally Hawkins)/Best Original Screenplay


August: Osage Country
Best Actress (Meryl Streep)/Best Supporting Actress (Julia Roberts)


The Croods
Best Animated Feature Film


Frozen
Best Animated Feature Film/Best Original Song ("Let It Go")

I am very well aware of the controversies surrounding this film. As I am not a PoC (and this post isn't really the place to go into detail about them anyways), I won't talk about them here. However, the two nominations seem well deserved from what I've heard (the latter more than the former).


Despicable Me 2
Best Animated Feature Film/Best Original Song ("Happy")

The first film is one I will watch anytime, anywhere. This one just...fell flat for me. If it was good as the first, or tried to reach that same level, I would hope for it to win Best Animated Feature Film.


The Wind Rises
Best Animated Feature Film


Ernest and Celestine
Best Animated Feature Film


The Grandmaster
Best Cinematography/Best Costume Design


Inside Llewyn Davis
 Best Cinematography/Best Sound Mixing


Prisoners
Best Cinematography


The Great Gatsby
 Best Costume Design/Best Production Design


The Invisible Woman
Best Costume Design


The Act of Killing

Best Documentary Feature


Cutie and the Boxer
Best Documentary Feature


Dirty Wars
Best Documentary Feature


The Square
Best Documentary Feature


20 Feet From Stardom
Best Documentary Feature


CaveDigger
Best Documentary Short


Facing Fear
Best Documentary Short


Karma Has No Walls
Best Documentary Short


The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life
Best Documentary Short


Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall
Best Documentary Short


The Broken Circle Breakdown
Best Foreign Film


The Great Beauty
Best Foreign Film


The Hunt
Best Foreign Film

Because I haven't seen the film I must be a Fannibal for wanting it to win? Maybe...


The Missing Picture
Best Foreign Film



Omar
Best Foreign Film


Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
Best Makeup and Hairstyling

I haven't seen this movie but from the trailers the makeup for Knoxville seems very well done.


The Lone Ranger
Best Makeup and Hairstyling/Best Visual Effects


The Book Thief AND Saving Mr. Banks

Best Original Score


Alone Yet Not Alone
Best Original Song ("Alone Yet Not Alone")


Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom


Best Original Song ("Ordinary Love")

  
Feral/Get a Horse!/Mr. Hublot/Possessions/Room on the Broom 
 Best Animated Short Film


Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)/Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)/Helium/Pitääkö Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)/The Voorman Problem
Best Live Action Short Film


All is Lost
Best Sound Editing


The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Best Sound Editing/Best Sound Mixing/Best Visual Effects

Like many good fantasy movies, the visual effects in this movie are amazing. Big HUGE kudos for Smaug himself. I just adore dragons and am glad Smaug was able to look menacing (with big thanks to Cumberbatch for the performance).


Lone Survivor
Best Sound Editing/Best Sound Mixing


Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness
Best Visual Effects

I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet (you can ask why via the comments or Twitter), but I would be happy if either of these two won. I know Star Trek Into Darkness got a lot of hate but I, personally, loved it.


Before Midnight
Best Adapted Screenplay


FOR ALL YOU WHO GOT THIS FAR: THANKS FOR READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment