Friday, January 24, 2014

Among Friends (2012)



Title: Among Friends

Director: Danielle Harris

Starring: Alyssa Lobit, Jennifer Blanc, and AJ Bowen

Rated: R

Released: 2012

Personal Rating: 5/6

Oscars: N/A

Plot: A group of friends get together for a murder mystery party, but things take a dark turn when one hijacks the evening and is out for blood.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Low Budget Movie
Now I don't post many reviews of b-movies to this blog, this because they can be difficult to review is a good manner. Yes, I'm a reviewer with a fondness for b-moives. So it's strange that I'd put a review of Among Friends on here. However, this movie is just so damn good that I don't care. I watched it late one night (or early one morning depending on your point of view) and was scared shitless by the end. That's the kind of scare I want in a horror movie. And this movie gave me that which is part of the reason I love it so much and decided to review it on this blog.

Reason for the Torture
Since I can't get too in depth with this part as I like to keep my written review spoiler free (and/or free of major spoilers) all I can say is that Bernadette has found out some really nasty things about the group. In retaliation of this she is showing everyone everyone else's secrets and making them pay. On one hand I see Bernadette as professing some great viewpoints on how fucked up people can be, but I still feel sorry for most of the pain that the group is put through.

Michael Biehn Cameo
If you haven't guessed by now: I am a Terminator fan. While I think The Terminator is the weakest of the films so far (I'll hold out opinions until Terminator Genesis hits theaters in 2015 for my least favorite Terminator film) I praise it on atmosphere, Arnold Schwarzenegger performance as the Terminator, and I can't think of Biehn without picturing Kyle Reese. So when I saw his cameo in the movie I clapped in glee in between being freaked out.

Final Thoughts
This movie is a ride, but it is not for everyone. The gore and subject matter can get too graphic and disturbing for some viewers (there is a small rape scene and if you're like me, you like to be forewarned about that stuff before viewing). However, if you can handle that you're in for a great time. Yes, it is cheaply made but it uses that to its advantage. Finally: Lobit's performance is to die for.

No comments:

Post a Comment