Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kyle and Kyle Reese


I am not a big fan of the announcement that the next Terminator movie will be a reboot of the series. I am one of the few that loved Terminator Salvation and wanted to see that story continued.

I wanted scenes of John Connor interacting with Kyle Reese and having to hide the fact that the boy is his father.

I  also wanted to see Kyle Reese and Star get together romantically and have this subplot have it much harder for Kyle to go back in the past and impregnate Sarah Connor with John (I am going to deal with that subplot in my own TERMINATOR FIC). I know that he'll go back but I'm a sucker for seeing a character in pain and confusion.

But the reboot is going to start from square one it seems. I know many Terminator fans would love the reboot to undo everything post Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but messing with the first two is very dangerous grounds.

One of the people that is up to play Kyle Reese is Boyd Holbrook. I find this hilarious as he played Kyle in the movie adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's The Host. So he'll have two Kyles on his resume.

I know everyone knows Kyle Reese. He's the father of John Connor and a fighter of the Resistance. He has his faults, but he's an all around good character.

Kyle from The Host...I have not seen the movie so I don't know what changes were made or how well Holbrook acted. What I do know is that Meyer did not know how to use the character and had the text vilify him.

Kyle is one of the free humans that is hiding away with Uncle Jeb. He is also one of the only ones that doesn't like Wanderer (one of the two main protagonists of the book/movie) since she is one of the aliens that took over the planet. He is suspicious and at one point tries to kill her.

In other words: he's one of the few characters with half a brain in the book.

But because he's not in Wanderer's fanclub he must be a giant douche for thinking like a normal human being.

I haven't seen the movie version of The Host so I can't comment on Holbrook's acting chops or if he can do good action scenes.

If he is picked for the role: please have him do justice to the role of Kyle Reese.
The Terminator Franchise

No comments:

Post a Comment