Friday, July 13, 2012

Courting of Lillith 3

After hours of running we found a cave. I helped Lillith lie down and work on her leg. My ears, a little more sensitive than a human's, were at work to pick out any Terminator that might have managed to follow us. As I finished patching up Lillith, they hadn't heard anything.

And Lillith's leg? Almost as lovely as I remembered it. Though it looked like it had taken more of a beating than when I had last seen it.

"It'll be a few days until we can be back to the base in Los Angeles." I told her and leaned against one of the cave walls. I expected an agreement as, when I had left her, she had been very compliant. Oh, so very compliant.

Instead, the silence was uncomfortable and I realized something was wrong. I looked into Lillith's eyes and saw a pain, hate, and loss that hadn't been there before. It was as if I was seeing myself more twisted than I already was.

"I'm not joining the Resistance, Jash." Lillith replied. "I don't care if the world burns and all that's left is metal and ashes. I just don't give a fuck."

"But isn't there a human you care about?" I asked.

Lillith leaned forward and looked up at me. I realized that she had grown but in all the wrong ways. The majority of scars were self inflicted. In her eyes was a fire that was burning dark. All this I noticed as she said, "Not you."

Then she leaned back but still held my gaze.

"Why?" I asked before realizing it was a stupid question with a damning answer.<
"The hospital." Lillith replied. "You know how damning that was to me? You wanted me to kill a woman and her family. How could you?"

The memories flooded my mind and I couldn't wash them away. I wanted to answer her with something funny to relieve the tension. But, for once, I had nothing I could tell her. Nothing that I could believe without denying the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment