Sunday, July 22, 2012

S&N: Forever Vigilant 1

"I said no, Samara." I yelled, not caring who else in the house heard me. "I'm not a human. I'm an M-4. Spas don't interest me anymore."


"What about me?" She replied. Her tone angry with a sense of longing. "I'm here too. For one day I want to forget-"


"That I'm me?" I asked. "Listen, I'm trying just as hard as you are. My whole world is changing just as much as yours.


Samara sighed and looked away. Then the next second she looked back at me. "Then why don't you try and show it. You know you're not the only one."


I stepped right up to her face and said, "If I'm not the only one why haven't you found someone else in the three years that I was gone?"


As soon as the words were out of my mouth I felt what was very similar to shame. I knew the reason why. It was the same reason I had been able to escape my programming. The hope that someone I loved was still out there and waiting for me.


"I'm sorry." I said with the usual Machine toneless voice. I cared so much that I had lost control of my voice. Unlike a human's, it just went toneless.


Samara nodded and wiped away a tear. She knew I cared, or at least she hoped. And hope can be more powerful than knowing.


"Nazilla is right, Samara, those things don't go to Spas." Mark said and stepped into the living room. The other members had been quiet. They were pretending not to be here. "Hell, Nazilla shouldn't be here."


"It is my choice, Marky," I said. Mark tried to hide his anger as I used one of his most hated nicknames to date.


"Naz and Mark, please." Samara said and both of us. Mark and I just looked at each other. One day we might have our final battle over Samara. But right in front of her, especially right now, wouldn't be the time or day.


"If you even think of harming her-" Mark told me.


"I will self-destruct." I said and he walked away angrily. "Now about the Spa."


With that Samara and I got into the car and I drove her. In the car we turned up the radio and she found a station she liked. I only did the motions of dancing because she was doing that too. My Machine self found nothing pleasing about the sounds coming out of the radio.


Samara stopped her dancing and turned to me. "You used to like this song."


I looked at her and said, "I just hear the sounds and nothing else."


"Can't you remember, though?"


"Yes, I can, but I don't get any feelings from it." With that the only sound was from the radio and the only motion was from the car.


However, once we arrived and entered the Spa, we were talking like old friends again. I examined the entrance and I saw beauty in the work. To a human it was calming, for me it was a study of what I had once been. Which, I guess, was calming in a sense.


As I was examining the Spa I saw someone. That someone was either an enemy, friend, or someone caught in the middle. For now I didn't know which one she was. But, whichever one she was, I was interested in seeing her again. To destroy the mystery surrounding her. My sensors easily identified her as Glau.
-------------
S&N Blog aka Karma HQ

No comments:

Post a Comment