Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Grey (2012)

Title: The Grey

Director: Joe Carnahan

Starring: Liam Neeson, Dermot Mulroney, and Frank Grillo

Rated: R

Released: 2012

Personal Rating: 6/5

Special Rating: It Made Me Cry

Oscars: N/A

Basic Plot: After their plane crashes in Alaska, six oil workers are led by a skilled huntsman to survival, but a pack of merciless wolves haunts their every step.

Very Moving Film
This movie isn't for the weak willed. By the end of the movie I was bawling my eyes out. And I'm not one to cry during movies. As each man dies things become harder for Ottway (Liam Neeson) who was already on the point of suicide in the beginning of the movie. Make sure you have a good comedy after watching this movie. I'm still tearing up for this movie and I watched it hours ago.

The Wolves
The wolves are the external threat to the group. Besides the weather and elements. They look good from a distance. The use of very quick shots for the wolf attacks works perfectly. This is because they don't look that great once you can stop to look at them. They don't look horrible but it's good they shot the movie like they did.

The Other Members
I didn't expect to care for the other members of the group. But I did! I cared if they lived or died. When one of them dies (near the end, not saying which one) I was crying out at the tv! So expect to care for these characters. If you didn't care for them, the movie wouldn't have made such an impact.

Final Thoughts
revrezner thinks I gave this such a high score due to Liam Neeson. He helped with the rating, but he wasn't the ONLY reason. If everything else wasn't so good I wouldn't have given this movie my highest rating. There is a plane crash in the beginning and a part where the group have to cross a gap. Two things that terrify me. It also had one thing that reminded me of Silent Hill 2 (and sorry for ruining a plot point for you Silent Hill fans).

No comments:

Post a Comment