Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Frozen (2013)



Title: Frozen

Directors: Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee

Starring: Kristen Bell, Josh Gad, and Idina Menzel

Rated: PG

Released: 2013

Personal Rating: 4.5/6

Oscars: Nominated for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song

Plot: Fearless optimist Anna teams up with Kristoff in an epic journey, encountering Everest-like conditions, and a hilarious snowman named Olaf in a race to find Anna's sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom in eternal winter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Overrides the Bad
Before this film's release there was a shitload of complaining about stuff like a lack of people that aren't white skinned. One person that worked on the film complained about how hard his job was as an excuse of why the characters were white and looked like they did. I will agree non-white characters as the ones that take center stage would've been awesome, but the stuff this film does right way overrides the bad. If a film can make me feel like bursting into tears multiple times it has done something miraculous.

Sing-Along Version
I went with a new friend to the Sing-Along version of the movie. I didn't sing just because I don't like doing so in public (though I did take voice lessons before so have sung in public in the past) and the friend was someone I just met. However, there was a little snowflake that indicated which words were being sung at the moment and that give me a great rush of nostalgia. Some children in the theater were dancing which was adorable.

Elsa is Just Awesome
I heard in the original script that Elsa was going to be the villain and that would've been fun to see. But Elsa in this film, aka the final version, is great. I can relate to her need for isolation and the fact that she has to hide who she really is. I have to hide things from my Dad who I live with and it's the same basic isolation (though, luckily, I have great friends I can talk to which isn't an option for Elsa). People have pointed out that Elsa's story seems to be an allegory for those in the LGBTQ+ community and I can see that very clearly.

Final Thoughts
This was an amazing film and I'm so glad I got to see it in theaters. From the trailers I couldn't see myself liking the character of Olaf, but in the movie I cam to love him and I think he's just so adorable! He's so upbeat even in the worst of times that I can't help but want to give him a hug. If this film wins both of its nominations I will be more than ecstatic. This movie and Tangled are my favorite films from Disney recently. The song "Let it Go" always makes me tear up so that's why I didn't sing that song in the Sing-Along version for that part.


No comments:

Post a Comment