Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Tobias and Me 11

I tried to calm down as an alarm had just sounded to alert the two of us that we were about to exit Z-space. Cat had a hand on my back and I was perched in front of the controls watching. In less than a blink of an eye we were out of Z-space with a planet before us.

Yes! I shouted before I realized I had said the word out loud.

I turned to see what Cat’s expression was. I felt relieved when I saw a wide smile on her face. We had done it. We had made it back home. All we had to do now was avoid the attention of Visser Three.

“So all we do is fly to your meadow?” Cat asked.

Yeah. Just look at the sensors and tell me if anything strange pops up. I told her. Visser Three’s Blade ship might be in orbit and the Yeerks might see us.

After that everything was silent. Except for the sounds I made while morphing human and Cat’s anxious breathing, everything was silent. Flying a Bug fighter as a human was a little different experience, but I was able to quickly learn to pilot just as well as when I had been a Hork-Bajir.

I tried to figure out where my meadow was as we flew around Earth trying to avoid the Yeerks’ attention. Suddenly I realized something. We couldn’t land in my meadow or close to it. What if the Yeerks found it there?

Then it would be easy for them to find both Ax and myself.

“Cat?” I asked.

“Yeah?” She said, distracted by monitoring the sensors.
“How do you feel about a short flight? I need to land the Bug fighter a little bit away from my meadow. When the Yeerks find their missing Bug fighter I don’t want myself or Ax to die.”

“That’d be good.” She replied, still distracted by the sensors.

We didn’t encounter any problems with the Yeerks as we entered the Earth’s atmosphere. What we did encounter problems with was finding where we needed to go. I had to demorph and morph again before we finally found the right area.

I landed the fighter by the mountain lake where me and my friends had destroyed a Yeerk ship. One of our earliest victories.

I demorphed and followed Cat outside. I spread my wings as I felt Earth’s air and heat. I had never thought I would return. I was more than eager to start flying, but didn’t try to rush Cat. I did, however, go onto a low branch of the nearest tree.

“We’re back.” She finally said.

Yeah, we’re back home. I replied. We’ll have to go to the others as soon as possible. They’ll need to know I’m fine as I’ve been gone...I don’t know how long.

Cat nodded nervously.

“Are you sure they’ll...” Cat started and then stopped.

Don’t worry, it will be fine. And if anyone tries to get to you they’ll have to go through me first.

This made Cat smile. A few minutes later and we were flying towards my meadow. The flight was quiet since, I guess, Cat was still nervous at the thought of meeting the other Animorphs. The only one I was really worried about was Rachel. She would be mad at me both for nearly getting lost in space and also for bringing a new girlfriend back.

As we neared the barn, my hawk eyes saw all of my friends going inside.

Tobias hasn’t been by my scoop recently. I heard Ax say faintly after everyone had entered the barn.

Ax! I shouted loudly, hoping he could hear me. Tell the others I’m here with a friend!

After that Ax’s thought-speak became hard to follow as he was having to explain about what I had just said. Soon two of my friends, Jake followed closely by Rachel, came out of the barn and looked into the sky where they saw two identical birds.

I entered the barn in my usual way while Cat landed.

Cat is going to need some clothes. I said and Cassie came out with an outfit.

I could hear Rachel, even with all that was going on, still criticizing Cassie’s lack of fashion sense. Rachel was a great fighter even though you wouldn’t think that by looking at her. Soon Cat and the others were in the barn. I started to preen once I saw that Cat was seated.

“Do you have the box?” Rachel asked angrily. “You left all of us here thinking you were dead and that the Yeerks had the box. And now we find out you gave the morphing power to this…girl. What if she is another David? What if she turns on us like he did?”

“I’m not going to turn on you. I want to join you.” Cat said. “I was captured by the Skrit Na and Tobias brought me back home. I’m not going to do anything that endangers him.”

“So because of Birdboy you’re going to get yourself thrown into insane situations?” Marco asked. “You got back safely once, but who says you’re going to get out of this alive?”

“I don’t know, but I’m not going to quit because I’m scared.”

I could see a brief smile on Marco’s face. A smile that showed that he thought her joining would be a good idea. I was glad that he would be on her side.

“So how exactly did the two of you meet? I doubt you encountered the Skrit Na on Earth. You would’ve been back a lot sooner if you did.” Jake said and then I started to explain.

I watched everyone’s reactions as I told my story. Not even half-way through I could tell Rachel was having to hold back a lot of anger. We weren’t in a relationship now and I was growing tired of how they always ended up working. We’d go apart and then we’d get back together. It wasn’t a way to live. It hurt to see her realizing what we had was gone and I hoped she’d understand why one day. I also hoped she wouldn’t take her anger out on Cat.

“This should be a group decision.” Jake said. “I vote she joins us. If Tobias trusts her, I trust her.”

“I vote she joins us.” Cassie said. “She doesn’t appear like David did.”

I vote she joins us. I said without saying anything afterward. My story should be reason enough.

“I vote she joins us.”Marco said with a grimace. “I don’t think it’s a good idea, but I agree with Cassie. She doesn’t look like a David.”

I vote she joins us. Ax said and turned a stalk eye towards me. If my shorm trusts her, I trust his judgment.

We all turned to look at Rachel. Her vote wouldn’t matter at this point. All she could do was show that she hated Cat because of me.

“I vote she joins us.” Rachel said slowly. “As much as I want to yell at Tobias right now, he’s a good judge of character. Especially where relationships are concerned.”

“She’s in then.” Jake said with a smile. “But later we’ll have to discuss your…outing.”

Yes, Jake. I said as I was just glad to be done with the meeting.

The others left while Cassie, Cat, and myself stayed for a little while. We talked and laughed. Cassie was good at getting Cat acquainted with her new life.

“Do I have time for a flight before it gets dark?” Cat asked and looked up at me.

“Sure, just come back after it gets dark. Hawks like Tobias aren’t meant to fly at night.” Cassie said with a small grin.

I’ll wait outside. I said and exited the barn.

After a few minutes of circling around the barn Cat came out in her red-tailed hawk morph.

I love you. I told her.

I love you too. Cat replied.

And, with that, we flew towards the setting sun. I didn’t know what would happen from here. I didn’t know if either of us would survive or even if our relationship would be long term.

All I cared about now was Cat flying beside me.

-The End-
Author’s Note: This was a fic for my friend Cat. I actually tempted her with it so she would join a site. I am not planning on writing a sequel. If I did, however, it would involve Cat adapting to being an Animorph and how the Yeerks handle the Bug fighter Tobias stole. I have a few different ideas of how the latter would go down, but I am not planning on writing it.

I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to read this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment