Thursday, June 26, 2014

How To Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)


Title: How To Train Your Dragon 2

Series: How to Train Your Dragon

Based on the Books By: Cressida Cowell

Director: Dean DeBlois

Starring: Jay Baruchel, Cate Blanchett, and Gerard Butler

Rated: PG

Released: 2014

Personal Rating: 5/6

Oscars: N/A

Plot: When Hiccup and Toothless discover an ice cave that is home to hundreds of new wild dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider, the two friends find themselves at the center of a battle to protect the peace.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle Scene
Now there are two real battle scenes in the movie but I'm talking about the first because it's more grand than the second one. Well...more grand because of the visuals as it was less emotional than the final battle. What happened in the first one may take a second viewing to fully take in. There was so much happening in the fore and background. It reminded me of a grand sci-fi battle at different points. One of the best visual parts in the movie.

The Visuals
The visuals of this movie were to die for. I saw the movie in 3D and I don't know if that helped my viewing experience or not. The flying sequences were beautiful. Especially shortly after Hiccup is reconnected with his mother. In the credits there were drawings, possibly concept art, which were beautiful to look at too.

Family
This movie has a very touching story. It is both a movie with epic battles and continues on the story of Hiccup understanding his father. Near the beginning it's revealed that Stoick is thinking of retiring and will make Hiccup the new chief. Besides the father issues, Hiccup discovers his mother. With his mother the mythology of this series is greatly expanded.

Final Thoughts
I adore this movie as much as I did the first one. It expands on the mythology of the universe as well as giving audiences something more epic than the first one. If you have never seen the first movie I suggest you do so. Not just because you'll understand this one better, but because it's a great movie in its own right. As I stated before, I saw this in 3D so I don't know how it'll look in 2D. I doubt it would look horrible in that format.

No comments:

Post a Comment