Monday, March 17, 2014

Tobias and Me 3

I sat on the log in my Hork-Bajir morph. Now that the Skrit Na had seen me in this morph I couldn't change back. Maybe they'd just assume that I was stuck in morph and so couldn't demorph. Maybe they would connect my non-working translator chip into this theory somehow.

Whatever the case would be, I would remain in Hork-Bajir morph as long as I could since if I demorphed the Skrit Na could pass on the information to the Yeerks. I knew they wouldn't actively seek out the parasitic slugs, but if threatened they'd admit anything to live.

"What are you?" The woman asked.

I turned my head and looked at her. The woman had appeared weak and fragile when I had first looked at her, but she seemed stronger now. Maybe not strong enough to take on the whole Yeerk Empire by herself, but strong enough not to lose herself while with the Skrit Na.

"Andalite." I lied and felt guilty.

But I didn't have a plan yet and if she was taken as a Controller and got the information back to Earth...well, I would be the one to sign the death warrants for my friends. The only hope humans had to remain a free species of the galaxy.

"I'm Tobias." I told her.

"That doesn't sound like an alien name." She replied. "Sounds like a human one."

"I've been hiding on Earth for awhile, kind of forgot my real name."

"You forgot your name?"

"Hey, I've been hiding for a long time."

The woman laughed for a minute before she calmed down enough to say, "Okay, Tobias."

"What's your name?" I asked, not knowing why I was embarrassed about asking the question.

"Cat." She replied. "You're kinder than the other aliens."

"The Skrit Na." I said. "They're...not the most noble of the aliens. They are hoarders of other cultures."

"Like me?"

"Yeah, like you." I explained to her while trying not to vomit because I thought of innocent people being taken to the Skrit Na home world to live the rest of their lives in a zoo exhibit. "They go to primitive worlds and collect things. The natives of those planets can be taken from time to time."

"So I'm not the first one?" Cat asked.

"No." I replied. "My-an Andalite Prince got invovled with some humans that were captured by the Skrit Na when he was still an Aristh."

"What's an Aristh?"

"It's a cadet in the Andalite military." I said. "That's what I am."

Cat put a hand on my arm nervously. I wanted to laugh because I was nervous about her touching me. Not because red-tailed hawks aren't usually touched but because of a reason I couldn't explain. I just felt nervous of her touching me because then she could tell me about that reason.

"You'll get back to them." Cat reassured me.

"And I'll get you back home." I said and hoped it wasn't in the same fashion my father arrived to Earth the second time.

"Why would an Andalite care?"

"Some of us are assholes, but some of us actually care. I am one of those that care is all."

Cat started rubbing my arm as I was tensing up. I liked the feeling as it was the only human touch I could have at the moment.

"I'm better." I said and tried to smile with my Hork-Bajir mouth.

Cat quickly removed her hand from my arm.

"I won't bite." I reassured her, suddenly worried.

"It's not that." Cat tried to explain. "I just...don't like being physical with people. A lot of the time they expect something more with just a little kindness."

I didn't know how to respond. Marco or Cassie could respond better than me. Marco would have a sarcastic and insensitive remark about how he was too hot for any mortal woman ready. Cassie would have a good explanation about how Cat shouldn't worry all prepared.

But right now there was only me talking to Cat.

"I understand how some people could be." I said as best as I could. "But right now I just need to get back to Earth so you can go home and I can continue to fight the Yeerks."

"And even if you didn't have all that to consider, would you try to hit on me?" Cat asked.

"I wouldn't hit on you if you didn't like it."

"Lots of people don't hit on me even when I would like it."

I put a hand on her shoulder and said, "Then they're fools. You aren't trash, Cat, and the Skrit Na have abducted more than they thought they did."

Cat looked from my hand to my face. She had a confused expression on her face and I was suddenly embarrassed.

"I just mean to not doubt yourself."

A small grin appeared on her face and she nodded.

"So do you want to explain the Yeerks?" Cat asked and I started to explain.

It was a hell of a lot easier to talk about the Yeerks than to explain about my previous statement. I wasn't in a relationship with Rachel right now, but any budding feelings for Cat wouldn't be appreciated by my former girlfriend. We had breakups before and we always got back together.

I wanted to be with Rachel again, even though our relationship was wearing a little thin to me. And if I acted on any feelings towards Cat, my relationship with Rachel would be over.
--------------------------------
All of Tobias and Me 

No comments:

Post a Comment