Sunday, March 9, 2014

Hannibal "Sakizuki" Review

This episode has creeped me out the most in the series so far. And that's only the opening scene! The opening picks up right after we left out in the last episode. The black guy wakes up all spooked and pulls himself away from the others around him.

This is made even more disturbing by the sound effects and how long the camera lingers on the action. While I was being grossed out, and yelling at the tv, the truth is I was really rooting for the guy. The emotion I took away from the scene was caring for a character. I wanted him to survive. I was cheering him on all through the opening and then he died.

And I yelled at the tv some more.

Bedelia is shown to be an extremely strong willed character in this episode. In previous episodes she was never weak, but in this one she really shined brightly. This is exemplified in her confrontation with Hannibal in the beginning of the episode.

Bedelia holds her ground while she backs away from Hannibal and the cannibal seems impressed. I think he lets her go both because he knows that he can deal with her trouble and he admires her. Hannibal is very much attracted to strong willed people (Will and Clarice spring to mind) and it's no wonder that he would admire a person that could face him like Bedelia did.

Will Graham has to continue to defend himself in this episode. One of the creepy funny things this time around was when he said "One of these things is not like the other..."

The scene was more creepy because of the reference being from a kid's show, but it was slightly amusing because I was trying to make sure I hadn't imagined hearing the line.

The other golden line that Will said was, "This isn't my design."

I really love that line because it's a twist on "This Is My Design".

The end scene to the episode is oddly touching as Hannibal kills the killer. Hannibal, who can be a ferocious enemy, comforts the killer as he kills him. Comforting the man by saying that Hannibal has finished the piece.

Next week seems to be focusing on Will's trial which should be very interesting indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment