Monday, April 11, 2011

Megamind (2010)

This is one movie where the trailer (at least the one or two I saw) lied about the movie.

Title: Megamind

Director: Tom McGrath

Starring: Will Ferrell, Jonah Hill, and Brad Pitt

Rated: PG

Released: 2010

Rating: 3.5/5

Basic Plot: Megamind defeats Metro Man and has to decide what to do now.

Watchmen
I saw the reference to the comic book Watchmen (by Alan Moore) and thought I had imagined it. Hal is wearing a sad face which is like the smiley face The Comedian wore in the comic. I double checked this fact on imdb to make certain.

Original Trailer
The original trailer made it seem like Megamind was going to be about Megamind and Metro Man duking it out. In fact, the original trailer I saw didn't even hint that the real villain was going to be Hal.

If the Villain Won
This movie deals with what would happen if the villain won. Megamind thinks he has defeated Metro Man and suddenly he starts falling apart. The problem is that Megamind's whole life has been about defeating Metro Man and now he has no one to fight. This is what causes the whole problem of Hal becoming evil and ending up with super powers.

The Misunderstanding
Megamind and Roxanne start a relationship, have a misunderstanding, break up, and get back together. There was a little tension but I was pretty sure that they would end up together. And, lo and behold, they did. It's an overused cliche but it worked a little in this movie.

Final Thoughts
This was a very fun comedy to sit through. It was light hearted, got dark, and had some funny bits. With the PG rating it's aimed at kids but it was enjoyable for me (and I'm an adult). I would recommend seeing this movie with friends on a night that not much is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment