Monday, March 21, 2011

Zombieland (2009)

I am not a zombie fan. I do not have a whole book dedicated to what I will do after the zombie apocalypse. However, I do enjoy comedy from time to time.

Title: Zombieland

Director: Ruben Fleischer

Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, and Woody Harrelson

Rated: R

Released: 2009

Rating: 4.5/5

Basic Plot: A group of zombie survivors...well, try to survive even longer after the zombie apocalypse.

Zombie Kill of the Week
Now these parts seem totally out of place in the movie. They are funny but, really, I had to wonder how they fit in. Then I read that Zombieland was originally supposed to be a pilot episode to a tv series. So each week they would have a Zombie Kill of the Week. This makes a lot of sense in a tv series but I think it should've been removed for the movie version.

Fear of Clowns
Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) is afraid of clowns. Now the character is very OCD and it is actually funny that that type actually managed to survive the zombie apocalypse. However, I fully relate to him about fearing clowns. I am afraid of makeup so clowns scare me and gross me out all at once. I felt like cheering him on when he finally overcame his fears.

Twinkies
This was a funny and out of place part at once because Tallahase is the one to want twinkies when he is the big, tough guy in the movie. It's nice that, at the end, he is finally able to have a Twinkie.

The Rules
Columbus's rules are funny and work all at the same time. Well, the 'Don't Be a Hero' changes at the end. The way they are introduced are creative. And they aren't just displayed only the first time they are followed, but every time.

Bill Murry
His cameo is funny. If you didn't know he cameoed in this, it's been two years. I thought his cameo was funny but was slightly annoyed how the characters were ass kissing him. Not saying Murry is a bad actor, just I think the ass kissing was the whole point of the scene.

Final Thoughts
This is a delightful zombie romp with some great comedy thrown in. I found this to be very fun. However, it is a bloody film so if you don't like gore: why are you wanting to watch a zombie film? The quote that Eisenberg makes about Facebook is very funny due to the fact he played the main role in The Social Network (2010) which is about the creation of Facebook. So if you like zombies and comedy, there is a good chance that you will like this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment