Monday, March 28, 2011

Pretty Little Liars Season 1 (2010-2011)

I tell people I like this show and those that know me find it strange that I like it. I first found out about it when I went to see a movie and saw a preview for it. One of my friends refers to this show as my soap opera.

Show: Pretty Little Liars

Season: 1

Episodes: 22

Developed By: I. Marlene King

Based on the Book Series by: Sara Shepard

Released: 2010-2011

Rating: 3.5/5

Basic Plot: Allison is murdered and four friends deal with a person, known only as A, harassing them.

Teacher and Student Relations
Before I started watching this show I wasn't that into student and teacher pairings. In fact I didn't like any mention of them. Now I am more lenient towards them and like the Ezra and Aria (Ezria) paring. Maybe it is the fact that Aria's relationship with Ezra is the only stable one in this entire season. Well there is the final episode where some major tension is shown, but they haven't broken up as of the end of Season 1.

The Murder Mystery Aspect
This is the aspect that got me really interested in the show. Yeah, I am a little morbid with saying that. But it's true nonetheless. I wanted to know who A is and so I decided to watch the show to learn. And if any of you say Mona is A I will seriously b**chslap you.

Toby
Toby I liked because he had a mysterious element and was an outsider. He came up as a prime suspect for murdering Allison and, as of now, it is shown he didn't murder Allison. After things not working out between him and Emily he eventually started dating Spencer. They have the common thing of both being suspected of murdering Allison (though charges have been lifted from Toby). Oh, did I mention he has some abs that are out of this world? Well, you wouldn't expect to find them on a guy like Toby.

Different Than The Books
Okay, I have never read any of the Pretty Little Liars books. But, from what I've heard, the show's creators have made the A in the show different than A in the books. In fact I've heard that Noel is actually a good guy in the books where in the show he is a bad guy. In fact, he is a prime suspect for being A in the show.

The Jenna Thing
Jenna is a bad person that is so lovely to watch. She's a character that you at once hate and love. A character that you want to see more of. The four Pretty Little Liars (Aria, Hanna, Emily, and Spencer plus Allison) were the cause of Jenna being blind. Throughout most of the season it was made to seem like Jenna wasn't actually blind but, from the later episodes, Jenna is really blind which makes me want to scream bulls**t.

Paige and Emily
Emily is revealed to be a lesbian that was in love with Allison but Allison didn't love her back. Paige was first introduced as Emily's rival and now is turning out to be a possible girlfriend to Emily. I never liked Paige and her sudden change to lesbian is just so jarring I'm still feeling aftershocks. To me Paige's relationship with Emily seems more as a ploy than a real caring relationship. Hopefully Maya will return or else Emily will start a relationship with Samara.

Allison
Allison is a character that you are made to feel sad for because she was murdered and the four main characters of the show are her friends. However, throughout the season it's shown that Allison wasn't just a nice little girl but also had a darker side. It is this complexity that makes me like the character and understand why some characters would want to see her dead.

Final Thoughts
If you have any bit of testosterone in your body, you probably won't enjoy this show. The show, while having an air of mystery, is more about the relationships between the characters. The girls always have makeup on and never look beaten up in the good majority of the scenes. It is a series that you can get involved in without getting too invested. This is a great start to a hopefully pleasing series. If you want a season to have fun with, check out this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment