Monday, March 21, 2011

Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Sherlock Holmes is a detective (no duh! ) and I'm not good at mysteries. I usually always fail at solving them. In fact, if I solve your mystery story you should think about rewriting it.

Title: Sherlock Holmes

Director: Guy Ritchie

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, and Rachel McAdams

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2009

Rating: 3.5/5

Basic Plot: Sherlock Holmes has to solve the mystery of how a dead man can come back to life and cause chaos.

Similarities to the Original Sherlock Holmes
Checking on imdb, I saw that there are many callbacks to the Sherlock Holmes stories. Some are even specific lines. I didn't really notice these callbacks due to the fact that I haven't read a lot of Sherlock Holmes. While I will admit the Sherlock Holmes series is good, mysteries (if they don't involve some fantasy elements) don't really interest me that much because I'm not good at solving them.

No Fantasy
To me, Sherlock Holmes and fantasy don't go together. This is because Sherlock Holmes is all about logic and the supernatural is anything but. While it would be nice to see Holmes out of his element, it just wouldn't fit the universe of the series. It's the reason I don't think aliens and Indiana Jones go together. I love aliens and I like Indiana Jones, but those two don't work together. Luckily enough, this movie doesn't have any fantasy to it. By the end, all is explained in logic. But, when you first watch it, it seems fantasy is a possibility.

Chemistry
The chemistry between Robert Downey Jr. (Sherlock Holmes) and Jude Law (Watson) is wonderful to watch. They really do play off each other and make the characters seem like long time friends. This was one of my favorite things about this movie, in fact. There is action, and a little romance, but the main thing for me is the chemistry.

Final Thoughts
This movie is a good movie with a decent premise. True, the main plot is Blackwood taking over England (reminds me of taking over the world), but it is all handle very well. The main villain is shown to be a real threat and his influence is vast. The ending hints at a sequel (that is going to actual happen) and you truly want to see what will happen. Not just because you want to see what will happen about Professor Moriarty but because you want to see what will happen with Sherlock Holmes. While this movie might get slow at places, it is well worth it. I would highly recommend it for you mystery fans out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment