Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pseudo-Silent Hill

Silent Hill is a great horror series (so far I've watched Let's Play of SH1, SH2, SH3, SH: The Room, and SH: Shattered Memories). For those that don't know, Silent Hill is a town where your fears come alive (or at least the fears of the people that you're playing as). It seems like a simple enough concept to do.

You need a character with a jaded past and then you place him in Silent Hill where the monsters reflect his/her inner demons and he learns from his/her experiences. But the comics in the Silent Hill Omnibus (no, Sinner's Reward isn't included and I still need to hunt that comic out) seem to not grasp what Silent Hill is.

What about the artwork? Some of it is a little odd but I'm not too picky about artwork in a comic. As long as it fits with the story and I can tell what's happening, I am fine. The artwork varied a lot. I know others might disagree with this: but it didn't bother me. With everything that was happening the artwork was the least of my concerns.

There were monsters in the Omnibus but none of the situations felt like Silent Hill. One big part of the Omnibus was the fact that Silent Hill was drawing people into the town so it could take over. Through the Omnibus the town called people to make videos of it, an artist to draw its monsters, and tried to make a killer of a man all to bring Silent Hill's terror to the world.

Before I end, I will say my favorite part of the Omnibus is when Cheryl (a Cheerleader Captain) says to Ike (the artist) that leaders have to make hard choices and then leaves him to die. That part made me laugh out loud. The story is "Paint It Black". That was probably the best story in the Omnibus. And by best, I mean so bad it's funny.

So, if you're a fan of Silent Hill, stay away from the Omnibus. Stay far FAR away!

No comments:

Post a Comment