Monday, July 21, 2014

A Brief Glance at the Cast of Terminator: Genesis

I admit I'm not looking forward to this movie. Rebooting the Terminator franchise is not what is needed to help the franchise out. A T5 that followed Terminator Salvation could have worked out the kinks in that movie.

However, I write for a Terminator fansite and so I haven't been able to push this as far from my mind until it comes to theaters as I wished.

Today I will talk about a few of the cast members that I'm familiar with. I hope all of those mentioned in this post do good performances even if they don't have that good of material to work with.
Matt Smith, most notable for playing the 11th Doctor on the BBC show Doctor Who, will be in Terminator: Genesis in a yet unnamed role. The 11th Doctor is my second favorite Doctor on Doctor Who, first being Christopher Eccleston's 9th Doctor, and I am excited to see him in a role that doesn't have anything to do with his former show. Well...except for the sci-fi and time travel parts that make up the Terminator Universe.
Emilia Clarke, whom I first saw as Daenerys Targaryen on Game of Thrones, will be the new Sarah Connor. This is probably the casting choice I'm most pleased with. In Game of Thrones Clarke is able to evolve from an innocent woman into a deadly queen. That's the kind of character development Sarah Connor needs. In T1 Sarah is thrown into a whole new world and in T2 she becomes very much a part of something that used to be strange to her.
Jai Courtney, who was recently in A Good Day to Die Hard and Divergent, will be the new Kyle Reese. Does he look like Michael Biehn? It doesn't matter as Terminator: Genesis is a reboot of the franchise. In A Good Day to Die Hard his mission was to protect a man and he was a good guy. This screams Kyle Reese protecting Sarah Connor. Though the outcomes of both situations are very different. In Divergent he was a bad guy so I was unsure of what to think of him being the new Kyle Reese until I saw the latest Die Hard movie.
And the final cast member I will talk about needs no introduction as his name, Arnold Schwarzenegger, is enough. I have to say him being in the movie is the casting choice I like the least. It just feels too much of a fanservice push than anything else. It's like people think if there's no Arnold in a Terminator movie then no one will go see it. Hell, in Terminator Salvation the Arnold CGI crap was made so there would technically be Arnold in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment