Saturday, July 19, 2014

Shipping Confessions: Joan/Moriarty (Elementary)

Well we're sticking with Elementary as there's one other ship in the series that I'm really into. It makes it sad, then, that one of the characters in the ship only has four appearances in the show in total.

The ship is between Joan Watson and Jamie Moriarty. It took me until the second season to decide that I liked their personalities and not just how the pair of them looked together.

In the last Shipping Confessions I talked about Joan Watson so I'll talk about her first here.
Joan is a very resourceful woman who is able to deal with Sherlock Holmes. In the first season she is a big reason why Moriarty was captured. She is able to think in times of a crisis and help those too close to a situation.

While she might seem to many to be easily overlooked, she shouldn't be underestimated. While Sherlock seems to be the ultimate brains, she can go toe to toe with him. Hell, it wasn't for nothing that Sherlock chose her as his protege.

She is a very empathic person. Hence why she quit her job as a surgeon and ended up becoming a sober companion. She truly cares for people.
Jamie Moriarty is first introduced to us as Irene Adler and is only later revealed to be the master criminal. I will say that the twist of Irene just being an alias left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm okay with it. However, how quickly Sherlock believed the lie when we met Moriarty in Season 1...still don't like it. Though he was in love and so there's a little bit of leniency there.

Moriarty herself is a very interesting character. It is shown that she is willing to do what is necessary to get something done.

Her decision to string Sherlock Holmes along was done because his mind was interesting to her.

As Moriarty told Sherlock:

"My first instinct was to kill you. Quietly-discreetly. But then, the more I learned about you, the more... curious I became. Here, at last, seemed to be a mind that rivaled my own, something too complicated and too beautiful to destroy. At least, without further analysis."

So, yeah, she can be uncaring when something intrigues her.

This isn't to say that Moriarty is cruel beyond all reason. She has a daughter she left because her job as a criminal mastermind took precedence over any life she could give her child. But when her child is threatened she makes sure her child is safe first hand.
Moriarty and Joan are on opposite sides when they first meet. It was really their conversation at the restaurant in Season 1 that made me start liking the idea of this ship. There was just such a raw energy between those two in that scene that it made me very happy.

In that scene there were two women that were powerful, though in different ways and with different morals, so I wanted to see more of them together.

In Season 2 it was more apparent that the pair could work well together. They still retained that same energy and now they had had much more time to consider each other. Moriarty even admits that she finds Joan more interesting and intelligent than at first. Feelings and emotions have had time to grow.

Both characters are smart and I would so love to see Moriarty return just to see her interact with Joan some more. Because when both characters are on screen together things explode at the awesomeness of it. And that's really why I ship them, there's just this raw energy between them every time they're together.

What will I talk about next Shipping Confessions? I go to Rosewood to look at a ship in the Pretty Little Liars tv series between a smart girl and a girl that has a thing for older men.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Shipping Confessions Table of Contents

No comments:

Post a Comment