Monday, July 28, 2014

Lucy (2014)



Title: Lucy

Director: Luc Besson

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman, and Min-sik Choi

Rated: R

Released: 2014



Personal Rating: 4.5/6

Oscars: N/A

Plot: A woman, accidentally caught in a dark deal, turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Science Myth
The "using only 10% of our brain" has long since proven to be a myth. So when I went into this movie I was well aware that it wasn't going to be one-hundred percent scientific. The fact that they used a myth for the basis of this movie didn't bother me at all. I was able to suspend my disbelief so I could enjoy the movie. If stuff like this bothers you, though, you might want to wait until it's on DVD/blu-ray to see it.

The 'Racist' Scene
This scene was talked so much about when the trailer came out. It has little to no bearing on the plot, but I feel as if I wouldn't be doing a good review if I didn't talk about it. During the trailer it looks like Lucy shoots the person after he says he doesn't speak English. In all fairness, even then it appeared she was in a rush and the subtext was, "Can you understand me and will you help me?" After he says no she shoots him to scare the other guy into helping her. In the movie all this happens after she first escapes her captors and it's revealed she merely shot the man in the knee cap. She wasn't killing him, merely injuring him enough to make the other guy help her.

Tension
There is a lack of tension in the sense that you're always sure that Lucy will be able to tackle any bad guy that is after her. Does that mean there is nothing to have you on the edge of your seat? No. Everything, at least to me, was about what powers Lucy would get and what she would choose to do with them. So what will this do for repeat viewings? Lucy kicking ass and the special effects are something that I probably will never grow bored of. Of course I'll have to see the movie on blu-ray/DVD to see how good or bad a repeat viewing of the movie is.

Final Thoughts
Lucy was a very enjoyable movie. Some parts near the beginning seemed like they were trying too hard to be artistic. Luckily enough they stopped. The visuals, and music at points, were wonderful. I loved seeing Scarlett Johansson kicking ass on screen again. The ending of the movie makes sense and is one of the most beautiful parts of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment