Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sushi, Sake, and Tanuki: Another Viewpoint 2

I opened my raven eyes and saw Hijunaki. I realized that I felt refreshed and not tired anymore. I bowed to Hijunaki when I got up but his face remained angry.


"What is it, Hijunaki? I came when you called." I said.


"Rig, you avoided my Calling for awhile. But that is not what I have to talk with you about now." Hijunaki said. "I watched you while you were living with those humans. I saw that you fell in love with a woman."


Memories of Sajoki came back to me but I did not allow myself to be overtaken by them. At least not at this moment while Hijunaki, my creator, was physically with me. The thought came to me to argue with Hijunaki, but I realized he could kill me. As soon as that thought came I reassured myself that I was too valuable to him.


"She was a human, Rig, and you are not to form bonds of that kind with anyone. Especially with a human. She distracted you from trying to find a way to escape. I expected more dedication from something I created." Hijunaki said.


"But she eventually gave me the means to escape." I said.


"A total accident and not something you had planned." Hijunaki replied. "But I have need of you. I did not call you just because your testing is over, but because I have a mission for you. There is an underground palace where I live that I keep people and beings that I have created. It is a place that you will soon live at after you do the mission I will give you now."


Hijunaki sent me images to my mind of the palace. It was regal and larger than the space allowed for. I thought that Hijunaki made it that way by magic.


"What is the mission?" I asked him so that I could get the mission done and rest in Hijunaki's Palace.


"There was a slave that didn't do as he was told and eventually ran away. I would find him on my own but now I need to test you out on a real mission. By your first testing I know not to trust you in personal matters but possibly you are still useful."


"What did this slave do?" I asked and by Hijunaki's expression I could tell I had asked the wrong question.


"His name is Katashi and it does not matter what he did. What matters is that you will find him and kill him."


I realized I could say no and quickly die or say yes and live longer. There was no disagreeing with Hijunaki, at least not at this moment.


"I will find and kill him for you." I told Hijunaki and bowed.


"I expected as much." Hijunaki told me.


I flew away. There was a river close by and I drank from it. After that, I washed up and ate some bugs. Nothing was as good as the human camp, but at least I was able to eat. I did everything I could to avoid getting started on the shady mission. But I realized after a few hours that I would have to go on the mission soon.


I took off and started flying around to find Katashi.

No comments:

Post a Comment