Tuesday, May 31, 2011

S&N: The Change 4

Focusing more on this strange world, I thought that the afterlife was not all it was talked up to be. I looked at the door and I was able to tell what it was made of as well as a list of what could possibly destroy it. After a few seconds I realized that I wasn't dead.


Looking through my mind, I found a file that confirmed what I already thought. I was an M-4 which was a new model of Machines.


I looked at the metal of the wall and saw a tiny glimpse of my reflection. I seemed normal but I knew that metal was underneath. Why not stick with M-3s, which my files now confirmed were real, if they wanted infiltration units?


More importantly, though, how could I ever get back to Samara since I was a Machine? How could I ever get to her again when I was tainted? Before I could get through these emotional questions, I heard some footsteps down the hall. Even though they were down the hall, I could hear them very clearly.


A middle aged man opened the door and I looked at him. My files said he was called York Smith and was partly to blame for my creation. I wanted to kill him and then kill myself. He made a motion with his hand and I found I couldn't move.


"M-4," He addressed me. "Follow me."

I followed the order without thought. Well, I followed the order only because I had no other choice. I tried to run into a wall but couldn't. I just kept following the man until I was in another room with a woman from Karma. This woman was tied up and screaming. The woman pleaded while tears came out of her eyes and York just stood there.


"Kill this woman." Was all York said and all he did was point at the screaming woman.


In a few seconds, that would've taken awhile to think about, a complex dialogue with myself went through my head. It all boiled down to the fact that if I was going to kill this human I'd let Netty win. I would start down on a path that would take me far away from the humanity I knew. But, really, if I did kill this human I'd only be following programming and it wouldn't be my fault.


The decision was made for me and I punched the human through the chest and broke her heart. It went through so easily and the human stopped screaming after a few seconds. Those few seconds were so long to me and I realized I was lost.


"A little more work with you and then I'll have another working M-4." York said. "Go back to your cell."


As I went back to my room I saw two M-2s talking to each other in the Machine language that I now could understand.


"M-4s aren't fiction anymore. If The Net follows this path then logic will be in danger." The M-2 that spoke turned to me and looked away. It didn't consider me important and it didn't concern my current mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment