Saturday, May 28, 2011

Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)

This was a very fun film to watch.


Title: Repo! The Genetic Opera

Director: Darren Lynn Bousman

Starring: Paul Sorvino, Anthony Stewart Head, and Alexa Vega

Rated: R

Released: 2008

Rating: 5/5

Basic Plot: Shilo Wallace is trapped by her father but yearns to be free.

Focus on Genetics and Destiny
Shilo's story arc focuses on the fact that she has a disease (which later turns out to be false and that her father is drugging her to keep her in the house). She tries to figure out what limits her genetics impose on her and what she can do on her own. This is, really, my favorite part of the movie since I can connect with it.

Gore
This movie is very much filled with gore. If you are squeamish, this probably isn't a good movie for you to view. However, the gore is really isn't very realistic. What I mean by that is that it is played much more for comedy. When Nathan kills the guy in his basement it is the funniest scene in the entire movie. Is it gory? Yes. But I found myself much more focused on the comedy.

The Songs
I found the soundtrack to this movie to be very good. I enjoy listening to the songs from the movie without watching the movie. My favorite songs are "I Didn't Know I'd Love You So Much" and "Chase the Morning". If you don't watch the movie, I'd still recommend checking out the music.

Final Thoughts
I heard about this movie and it took me awhile to show any interest in it. Now that I have seen it, I am very glad that I have. The subplots in this movie are very interesting. I was interested in seeing Anthony Stewart Head in another role besides Giles (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). If you are uncertain about seeing a musical: See this movie anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment