Thursday, March 19, 2015

Agent Carter (Season 1)


Show: Agent Carter

Season: 1

Episodes: 13

Created By: Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely

Released: 2015

Rating: 5/6

Basic Plot: In 1946, Peggy Carter is relegated to secretarial duties in the Strategic Scientific Reserve (SSR). When Howard Stark is accused of treason, he secretly recruits Peggy to clear his name with the help of his butler, Edwin Jarvis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Placement
I am an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fan. So I found Agent Carter airing during the hiatus for Agents a very good coping mechanism. While I wasn't able to see new episodes of Agents, I was able to see new episodes of another show set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). So if the show gets renewed, it having the same placement would be awesome.

Carter is a Great Female Character
I know a lot of people called her a Mary Sue and I just think that they don't understand a strong female character. Yes, Mary Sues are a problem but there are women that kick ass that aren't Mary Sues. Carter is able to sneak around because the men just don't expect anything from a woman, a point that is later continued in one of the villains this season. Carter reminds me a little of Clarice Sterling from The Silence of the Lambs. Both characters do their best even though the men tend to be misogynistic.

The Look of the Series
The visuals go great with the time period of the show. It almost feels, at times, that the series would look great in black and white. The clothing, makeup, cars, ect. just feel very old timey. It feels safe and reassuring even when shit hits the fan. And when shit hits the fan it really hits the fan hard.

Final Thoughts
I'm not holding my breath for a renewal and have resigned myself to thinking that it will only have had one season. Some great shows are not given enough time to shine (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Firefly). Hopefully it does get renewed and we get some more Agent Carter action next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment