Monday, August 4, 2014

Fox and Science Fiction

I love a good science fiction show. Science fiction is my favorite genre and so I like to see what knew things will be done of it. The genre is a great way to showcase fears of a day and age. The genre can also show you the hopes and dreams of the same age. If done well you can get lost in the story for years as new episodes are released.

However, Fox never seems able to hold a good science fiction show for very long.

Firefly was an awesome show and had a very dedicated fanbase. Even today, years after it's been cancelled, its fanbase is still running strong. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (TSCC) is one of the few non-James Cameron additions to the Terminator franchise that most Terminator fans heavily enjoy.
The fate of Firefly was to be aired out of order and cancelled before its first season was finished. TSCC got moved to the Friday night death slot and was cancelled after its second season.

Fringe got cancelled before its time but it got five seasons out and a chance to end on its own terms. The fans of the series is really what kept this series going after it should've been long dead. It's a rarity that science fiction shows last that long on the Fox network.
So when Almost Human premiered on Fox I knew it wouldn't last that long. I was just hoping it would end up like Fringe. But, nope, it ended after its first season and left a lot of unanswered questions.
Now The Strain is on FX and I am worried for it. While it is science fiction, I think the horror/vampire aspects will make the show last longer. I can only hope.

I am just wondering why people risk good science fiction ideas on this network.

No comments:

Post a Comment