Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Eternal Heart: Demon in the Shell 4

My head hurt. That was the one thought that was greatest in my mind. The other thought could be summed up as: why the hell was I back in my cell? I wasn't going to hurt anyone. With this headache I couldn't hurt a fly. Except if it was by accident.

I heard footsteps that were louder than I was used to. Not louder due to my hybrid senses, but because of the damn headache. I waited calmly to see who would come through the door. And who should appear but Barnes.

Barnes' expression was angry and there wasn't one inch of him where anger didn't shine through. I could tell that he was trying to hold himself back. However, the chances of that lasting long wasn't high.

"How dare you." Barnes finally said. "Pretending to be human. Wearing our skin and faking our emotions."

"You mean how dare I let Skynet violate me without my agreement?" I said and leaned forward. "Yeah, how dare I."

This whole using what I felt from the drugs was working out well. At least I was feeling better. Barnes, not so much.

After a few minutes he came back with, "You don't remember. You told Kate that. You could've been a Grey."

"If I was I'm not now." I replied. "Whatever I was before doesn't matter now. Now I am fully loyal to the Resistance and a comrade to the cause."

"But you did fight for Skynet. Or have you forgotten that?"

"I will never forget and I will probably have nightmares about it in the future. For now, though, all I can promise is my loyalty to the Resistance."

Barnes put his face close to mine and I could smell the hate. It wasn't unprovoked, I had worked for Skynet before. "Nothing will ever make up for what you did, you-" He said and stopped as John entered the cell.

Barnes quickly stood up and saluted John. John's gaze, however, went to mine. In that brief moment where our eyes met, there were so many strong emotions that we both felt. I sent him the feelings of new love and he sent that back to me with the added emotion of regret.
------------------
The Eternal Heart Blog aka The Wars Against Skynet

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Here is what happened before this:
      http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7871732/1/The_Eternal_Heart

      Enjoy :)

      Delete