Monday, August 6, 2012

S&N: Forever Vigilant 6

It had been hours since I had started explaining what had happened in the Spa. Stewart stood calmly listening to every word. For some reason I thought that he was concentrating on me more than my story. Don't get me wrong, he was Mark's right hand man so he was listening to my report.


Mark seemed angry that I was the only one that could give the complete report on Robert Saymes and the M-3 that went by Glau. Rebecca stood beside him and repeated Mark's angry look at me.


Martha and Samara were the only ones to show different emotions. I wasn't counting Stewart's as he was, well, Stewart. Martha was hiding the need to run over and hug me. Unfortunately, Mark was her boss so she couldn't. Plus it would be unprofessional in her eyes.


Samara's eyes were red from crying. I would need to talk to her about that later. But now I was getting to, what I hoped was, the final questioning.


"How come you didn't know that this M-3 was a Machine?" Mark asked. I saw a slight grin start to form as he thought he had caught me. That he'd have reasons to have me torn apart.


"Glau," I said, putting emphasis on the name. The M-3 would always have a name to me. No matter how much pain-like emotions it gave me. "was using Scram."


"You were confused by Scram?" Rebecca asked with arrogance in her voice.


"Scram is used to confuse sensors to hide that a Machine is a Machine." Stewart replied. "If you have forgotten, Nazilla sees through her sensors."


I nodded at Stewart's explanation and put down of Rebecca. The nod I had to think about but was well worth it to see Rebecca's reaction.


"Yes," I replied. "It wasn't until the Scram was disrupted in the fight that I realized."


"But wouldn't you have noticed that she was a Machine since you're, well, a Machine?" Martha asked and I knew that she had already guessed the answer.


"I was attracted to her." I replied in a toneless voice and Samara started crying again.


After a few minutes Samara walked away quickly. Even in times of sadness she had some calmness to her. Mark saw his chance and went over to Sam and I pushed him against the wall.


"She doesn't need you." I replied angrily and Mark was silent. I let him go and Stewart had to hold him back. I walked towards Sam and heard Mark start to yell.


My sensors allowed me to hear the yelling in full force but, luckily, Samara had gone to her room upstairs. I went to her and hugged her. Samara grabbed me and sobbed on my shoulder. I noticed things I wouldn't as a human such as the time each tear dropped.


"Don't worry, Sam," I told her. I searched through my programming to find something that should comfort her. "But at least Glau didn't betray Karma. At least she wasn't the one to set up the ambush."


With these words of comfort Sam pushed me away. Or, more accurately, pushed herself away.


"Do you know what you just said?" She asked in shock.


I processed the words over and over again. The words still seemed comforting to me.


"Yes, I do." I replied. "And I see only comfort in them."


Sam sat on the bed and looked at me. "Well," She said. "You don't know what you do."


I was confused. What was she talking about? After five minutes I still didn't know what she was talking about.
------------------------
S&N Blog aka Karma HQ

SERIES IS NOW ON HIATUS

No comments:

Post a Comment