Monday, April 9, 2012

Sushi, Sake, and Tanuki: Shinto 4

While the room I was in now outdid the wedding in every way, it seemed uglier. It seemed more like a cage than any form of beauty. But there was only one ray of light. And she was asleep on the couch.


Yomosa would be taken by Hijunaki very soon and then I would finally gain his favor. She started to stir and her eyes slowly opened. I knew what she was thinking, because I had felt the same way many times. She'd open her eyes and realize she was in a nightmare that she couldn't wake up from.


What I hadn't counted on was the scream. I rushed over to her and covered her mouth. I saw her eyes widen as she saw me in one of my non-shapes. I now tended to go to those when I was nervous. The non-shapes were a combination of many different forms. For her sanity I shifted to my usual human male form.


Yomosa calmed down slightly, I removed my hand from her mouth, but I could feel the hate radiating from her eyes.


"I'm not the enemy here." I finally said to her.


"You killed my husband and kidnapped me." She spat. "Tell me how you're not my enemy."


"I was following orders." I tried to explain to her. Though, with her spunk, she deserved a better explanation. "For my continued existence I have to serve Hijunaki."


"How did you get into such a debt?" Yomosa asked. She seemed to be calming down, if only because she realized she couldn't win.


I hissed. The memories of my creation made my blood burn. "He created me." I explained. "I have no choice but to follow his orders. I can only disobey so much. Because I angered the weather goddess Akumie I wasn't allowed to leave the Palace for thousands of years."


"He didn't kill you?"


"Why would he? I am too valuable." I said and we both looked down. Even though sadness and pity were on her face, things hadn't changed between us. I knew this because fear and hate radiated more strongly from her expression.


The doors opened on their own and Hijunaki stuck his head through. Though the room could fit him comfortably, he chose not to enter. And I was glad he didn't.


I bowed and said, "Hijunaki, here is Yomosa. The woman you have longed for."


Hijunaki turned to look at Yomosa and flicked his tongue in and out quickly.


"Come, Yomosa, we have much to do together." He said with tenderness in his voice. If I didn't know how he had felt about Yamaka, I would've thought he was faking it.


Yomosa stood up and walked slowly towards him. When she had left the room, Hijunaki winked at me and went to guide Yomosa to his chambers.
---------------
Sushi, Sake, and Tanui Blog aka Companion to Rig's World

No comments:

Post a Comment