Sunday, April 8, 2012

My Week with Marilyn (2011)

Title: My Week with Marilyn

Based on the Books: My Week with Marilyn AND The Prince, the Showgirl and Me

Book By: Colin Clark

Director: Simon Curtis

Starring: Michelle Williams, Eddie Redmayne, and Kenneth Branagh

Rated: R

Released: 2011

Personal Rating: 4.5/5

Oscars: 2 Nominations

Basic Plot: Colin Clark, an employee of Sir Laurence Olivier's, documents the tense interaction between Olivier and Marilyn Monroe during production of The Prince and the Showgirl.

Made Me Slightly Interested in Marilyn Monroe
I had heard about Marilyn before, of course. But this movie gave me my first interest in her. This should be credited to Michelle Williams, as her acting is superb. Of course I'm not obsessed with her, by any means, but I am now interested in learning more about her.

Emma Watson
I am a Harry Potter fan. So, of course, I saw all the movies more than once (I highly abused Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince). And Emma Watson played Hermione Granger who is a book smart girl. It was nice to see her playing a completely different character. This shows that she's not limited to her Harry Potter fame, and can actually do shit!

Behind the Scenes
This movie focuses on some behind the scenes things. The main one deals with getting Marilyn Monroe able to act. And, really, that's what is being fought against in this film. But don't take that to mean that you'll learn much about what goes on behind the sets on movies.

Final Thoughts
This isn't the kind of movie I usually watch, nor am I that familiar with Marilyn. But, I still enjoyed the movie a lot! Michelle Williams and Emma Watson were both lookers in this movie. The music was good to set the mood and it was a good homage. I would highly suggest you see this movie. I'm sure those who think something is missing can write their own fanfiction to fill the 'holes'.

No comments:

Post a Comment