Saturday, April 28, 2012

Xone of Contention (Piers Anthony)

Title: Xone of Contention

Series: Xanth

Author: Piers Anthony

Released: 1999

Rating: 3.5/5

Basic Plot: Dug, the Mundane who had had an adventure in Xanth through the Companions of Xanth computer game, is now happily married to Kim. His friend Edsel on the other hand is on the rock with his marriage to Pia, Dug's old girlfriend, who wants a divorce. Edsel, not wanting to lose her strikes a deal with her, they take a two week vacation in Xanth, switching with Nimby and Chlorine who want to learn about Mundania, and if she doesn't change her mind, he won't fight it.

Global Warming is Bad!
My opinion on Global Warming is for another post, but suffice it to say that this book involves a commentary on Global Commentary. If that is about to make you pass this up, be aware that the message isn't clear (though CoTwo being bad is evident) nor does it seem to be forcing anything. Which is bad and good at the same time. Good because it doesn't mean that I have to read a book with a message. But bad in that it makes calling the enemy CoTwo seem odd. You could've picked a different name!

So Many Puns
Sometimes the number of can become overwhelming. So if you live by me and saw a woman running around screaming, that was me. And, lady, I was talking about your cat. As with any Xanth novel, puns are part of the territory. It can be funny, but you might feel annoyed every now and again.

Marriage
Edsel keeping his marriage with Pia is the nexus of this edition to the Xanth series. I think Anthony did a very good job in making the conclusion believable. If a lesser ending was made it'd seem forced. I know we all like happy endings, but they have to be believable. Unless it means a hot, sexy guy surviving. I love you, Derek Reese! Why won't you return my calls! And being dead isn't an excuse!

Final Thoughts
If you've read a Xanth novel before, this is the same thing. This won't make you a fan. And be prepared for your childhood love to look very different. I remember enjoying Xanth novels much more when younger. However, this book was still good. I found myself caring for the characters and wanting to see them 'win' at the end of the day! In short: if you love puns and magic, you should enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment