Monday, April 30, 2012

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

Title: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Series: Mission: Impossible

Director: Brad Bird

Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, and Simon Pegg

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2011

Personal Rating: 4.5/5

Oscars: None

Basic Plot: The IMF is shut down when it's implicated in the bombing of the Kremlin, causing Ethan Hunt and his new team to go rogue to clear their organization's name.

The "Hype"
I put hype in quotation marks since the "hype" I'm talking about was reviewers saying it was a good movie. Mind you these reviewers (none of them professionals in the normal sense) weren't excited to see this. But walked out happy. After seeing this movie I must agree: The Mission: Impossible series is not dead!

The Opening Credits
The opening credits sequence was awesome. The reason I liked it so much was that it didn't interrupt the film at all. It managed to stay out of the way (while taking up maybe a minute or so) and foreshadowed about what would happen later in the film. One of the best opening credits that I have seen this year.

Simon Pegg
Pegg's character (Benji) is a pleasant edition to the series. I've read that he was in M:I3, but I haven't seen that movie yet. So this is the first M:I movie I've seen him in. Benji keeps Simon Pegg's charm but also adds a bad assery to him (especially near the very end of the film).

Final Thoughts
I found this to be a very enjoyable film to watch. Though I think that the experience would've been better in IMAX. ESPECIALLY where Ethan Hunt scales the tall glass building. It seems that there was confusion if this film was a reboot. The answer: it isn't! The film introduces a replacement for Ethan Hunt, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment