Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dream House (2011)

Title: Dream House

Director: Jim Sheridan

Starring: Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, and Naomi Watts

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2011

Personal Rating: 4.5/5

Oscars: None

Basic Plot: Soon after moving into their seemingly idyllic new home, a family learns of a brutal crime committed against former residents of the dwelling.

The Trailers
One reason that people don't like Dream House is the fact that the trailer gave a lot away. The one or two trailers for this movie I saw did give a little away. Especially saying Will Atintin is Peter Ward. However, if you didn't watch a lot of trailers you should have a better enjoyment of the movie.

A Messy Script
I know what went on behind the scenes. How the making of this movie was a big mess. However, I like the final product. I'm sure it could've been better. But, as is, it's nothing to complain about.

MPD
I understand that the name of this mental disorder has changed, but I will always refer to it as MPD (aka Multiple Personality Disorder). I love movies about those who don't have a good grip on reality. Such as Secret Window, Total Recall, and Shutter Island among others. Will (Daniel Craig) suffered so much from killing his family that he creates a fantasy world in which they are still alive. However, I don't consider it a twist. This is because it's easy to see within five to ten minutes of the movie. But, to make up for that, there is a final twist revealed at the end.

Final Thoughts
I like this movie. Daniel Craig, horror movie, Rachel Weiz, and Naomi Watts in a film together! Plus the story unfolds at a good pace. Even when I guessed what was happening it still managed to send chills through my mind. The scene where Will/Peter goes back to his home to find out what happens rock. Because Will/Peter is actually questioning himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment