Wednesday, January 25, 2012

X-Men: First Class (2011)

Title: X-Men: First Class

Director: Matthew Vaughn

Series: X-Men

Based on the Comics Started By: Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Jennifer Lawrence

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2011

Personal Rating: 4.5/5

Oscars: N/A

Basic Plot: Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr come together to fight a common enemy.

Overlooked Characters Shown
I think it was a good move to show mutants other than the usual ones we're used to seeing. The better thing, though, is making them just as interesting. So if you're worrying that this movie won't be good because there's no Wolverine or Cyclops: rest assured that this is not the case. I must say I wasn't familiar with Emma Frost before but grew to really love the character (in all her evilness) like I had with Wolverine.

Cameo!
I sort of lied when I said Wolverine isn't in this movie. He is in it for a small cameo. It's the part where Xavier and Erik are recruiting mutants for their X-Men team. As you can imagine, Logan/Wolverine doesn't accept the offer. Though his time on screen is so short, it was a memorable little scene.

The Final Battle
The battle at the end of the movie was just awesome. Not only was it good action, but the personal demons each character was fighting (throughout the movie) are addressed. Kevin Bacon is killed BUT that's not where the action ends. That being said: that's when Erik turns into Magneto. After Bacon is killed, the mutants have to decide how to deal with the humans who are trying to kill them. That's when Magneto and Professor X form their two different groups.

Final Thoughts
When I first heard about this movie I was a little worried. As X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine weren't received well by most people. But when I heard all the positive reviews I knew I had to check this movie out. I was not disappointed with this movie at all. It shows that the X-Men movie franchise has not yet died!

No comments:

Post a Comment