Friday, October 21, 2016

Crossing the Divide 9

"Activated." Doom said without inflection as a red sphere appeared on top of the projector.

"Do you know what you are?" I asked after I pushed my fear back far enough.

"I am Doom. I am an AI."

"What is your purpose?"

"I have no purpose. You haven't programmed any into me. Will that be done soon?"

"Why do you ask that?"

The question had surprised me. While Doom hadn't been given a personality as of yet, when dealing with AIs certain leaps could be taken which could take the programmers by surprise. What the humans of this reality would call 'coming out of left field'. I wondered if Doom felt any emotion about not having a purpose or if it felt like something was missing. When a limb was cut off any creature, no matter how stupid, they would realize something was missing. Hopefully it didn't feel angry or sad about not having a purpose.

"I am a program without a purpose." Doom replied in a monotone. "Programs always have a purpose. To be without one makes me not able to be defined. I need to be defined."

"Why do you need to be defined?" I asked.

"I need to know that I am following my programming to make sure I'm not malfunctioning."

"Why do you care if you're malfunctioning?"

"I am not to harm a human, especially those of the organization The Mormonts."

-This is a Mature Story (if in content if not plot)
-It's a Game of Thrones/Resident Evil Fic
-It's a Doctor Alexander Isaacs Fic

You can read it HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment