Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sushi, Sake, and Tanuki: Another Viewpoint 4

"You are a good hunter." Katashi said as he ate one of the rabbits that I had caught.


"It was my old job." I said, not wanting to think about that time. Though Sajoki had been alive back then and I had been happy.


"You want to talk about that time now? I assume that's where you met your woman friend you keep talking about."


"She was lovely and I killed her. She was about to get me killed so I had to do something."


"You were just doing what you had to do. You didn't like it though, did you?"


I shook my head and heard a sound. The sound wasn't even close to what was normally heard in the forest.


"I was wondering when he'd be sending the real killers to get me." Katashi said and stood up. I shifted from my human form into a dragon. This dragon form was white with four legs and no wings. I could still fly because I didn't need wings to do so.


I let a roar out as Hijunaki's soldiers came towards us. Some were flying creatures and some could only run on the ground. The running creatures were as big as deer and the flying creatures were as small as eagles. Katashi and I nodded at each other knowing this could be our last time together. He had been a good companion and I'd try and make sure there would be more time we could spend together.


I attacked one of the running creatures and found myself evenly matched with it. I tried to bite its neck but it was too well defended. In a few quick motions it had tossed me and had me hit into another running creature.


Without even a second to think, I attacked the second running creature. This one I managed to cut its stomach open and it fell down in pain. I took this time to try and find Katashi. Dodging another running creature I found Katashi being overtaken by the flying creatures. Deciding to help him and not save myself, I ran towards him.


Before I got too close, a few flying creatures came towards me. I swam-flew up into the sky and the flying creatures followed me. Their small but tough bodies were a sight to see. For a little while we fought each other and our blood mixed with each other's. There was a soft sound and the creatures all went away. Worried, I went down to try and find Katashi. After a few minutes I found him.


I flew down to Katashi and saw his mangled corpse. I shifted back into my human form and touched his body. It was missing pieces, but its hand was still grasping his weapon. This body didn't affect me like the ones I had killed had. However, it was still disappointing to have my companion dead.


When I finally turned away from Katashi's body, I saw an image of Hijunaki.


"You shouldn't be sad about Katashi's passing, Rig." He said angrily and hissed.


"Why not?" I asked. "He was a strong spirit."


"Yes, but he slept with the woman Yamaka who I had marked as my own." Hijunaki said and disappeared. I was left alone again with Katashi's body.

No comments:

Post a Comment