Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Mechanic (2011)

I have not seen the original.

Title: The Mechanic

Director: Simon West

Starring: Jason Statham, Ben Foster, and Donald Sutherland

Rated: R

Released: 2011

Rating: 3/5

Basic Plot: Arthur Bishop (a mechanic/assassin) is set up and hunted. On this journey he takes the son of a man he killed as his apprentice.

The Real Plot
There was hardly a plot to it. What I listed as the Basic Plot is shifting through the movie. However, I wasn't watching the movie for its plot. I was aware, before I watched it, that its plot wasn't the main thing. If you're looking for a plot filled story, this movie is not for you.

The Death Scenes
Now here is the real reason for seeing this movie. Since Jason Statham plays an assassin, you know there are going to have to be some killings in this movie. And the deaths scenes were fun to watch. They are gory, cruel, and are what I wanted.

Rape
The only part that really disturbed me was when Steve McKenna (played by Ben Foster) had to kill his first guy. It ends up involving Steve seducing his victim. The fact his victim is a guy has nothing to do with me thinking the scene is disturbing. It's the fact that the guy is older and preys on younger men/boys. Luckily they don't end up having sex.

The Ending
The ending was one of the highlights of the movie. A shining moment that I didn't really like. However, the fact that it is surprising is a good thing. The fact that it seemed to come out of nowhere and ruined a deep ending makes me not really like it.

Final Thoughts
You having a party and need an action movie to get drunk to? Then this is the movie for you. It doesn't have a real plot and is full of action. That would make a horrible movie, but The Mechanic makes it work. I must remind you again that I was prepared for the movie turning out like this and so wasn't disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment