Saturday, September 8, 2012

Coma (2012)

Title: Coma

Parts: 1 & 2 (aka the whole movie)

Type: Made for TV movie (A&E)

Based on the Book: Coma

Book Written By: Robin Cook

Director: Mikael Salomon

Starring: Lauren Ambrose, Steven Pasquale, and Geena Davis

Rated: N/A

Released: 2012

Personal Rating: 3.5/5

revrezner's Rating: 7/10

Oscars: N/A

Basic Plot: A young medical student discovers that something sinister is going on in her hospital after routine procedures send more than a few seemingly healthy patients into comas on the operating table.
-------------------------------------------
Two Best Scenes
Two of the best scenes of this movie involve running. Both times the scenes are long but engaging. They both involve the main leading lady getting chased around. The first time by who I called "The Flirty Guy". The Flirty Guy sees trees trying to stop him (trust me, it's cooler than crazy) and so the leading lady has a few seconds of borrowed time. The second one is at the end of the movie. This chase reveals a lot about the plot and is one of the most disturbing moments of the film.

First Part is Build Up
The first part is actually very slow. It's build up where there's a mystery that you already know is there. It should slowly hint at a mystery whereas the mystery is pointed out. You know there's something wrong with the institute and yet you have to wait for the characters to catch up. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Part 1 but you have to admit it was slow.

The Non-Ending
I'll try to make this part spoiler free as possible: this movie has an ending where it shows the problem was never solved. These endings are good for shock but it doesn't make sense in my opinion. The character who decides to "turn evil" seems like he/she would have a greater reason to "stay good". If Dad wasn't watching it with me I would've yelled: What just happened?!

Final Thoughts
I love this movie but it does have its fair share of problems. Would I watch this again? Why yes I would. I also plan to watch the original Coma as well as read the book in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment