Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sushi, Sake, and Tanuki: After the Fall 5

I found myself looking at Yomosa's sleeping form again. She knew I was there and would find my watchfulness comforting. Well, more the former than the latter would make her less likely to suddenly attack me. Her breathing seemed more worried. And why wouldn't it be? Our room had just been torn through and now there was danger.


Though our room wasn't like Hijunaki's Palace, it was still ours. We hadn't been here for as long as I had been at the Palace, Yomosa didn't have the lifespan for one thing, but at least we had been here for a little while. The invasion was most likely just a threat as we were both alive. Yomosa to sleep and myself to watch. But for what reason was the threat meant?


I quickly stood up and prepared myself to fight as I sensed someone, or something, enter our room. Looking at the robed figure didn't do much. For whatever it was, it wanted to be hidden.


"What do you want?" I asked sternly.


"Rig Katashi," The figure said in a sickly voice. Sickly for a human but normal for an Air Elemental. "You must leave."


"We were already thinking of leaving this village. No need to tell us we have to leave here." I replied. Though I knew that it meant something else entirely.


"You must leave this land." It said. "You must cross the ocean, which you have only seen lapping at the beaches, and find somewhere else."


"You mean leave the only land I have ever known?" I walked up close to it, but I still couldn't tell if it even had a face. "What gives you the right?"


"I want to save your life." It said without its sickly voice hindering the anger. "The one who is coming against you can't leave this land."


"And who is this one?"


"Names have power. Invoking this one's name would have devastating consequences."


I thought about what this creature was saying. It wasn't just talking about leaving a village or going into hiding. It was talking about leaving it all behind. I didn't mind leaving some memories behind, but others I couldn't dream of saying goodbye to.


"And what if I stay?" I finally asked.


"Then you are your lover will die." It replied. "It's not an easy choice. But you need to make it."


I took a few steps back and nodded.


"I have done what I can here." It replied and just disappeared.


At that exact moment Yomosa woke up.


"We have to go now." I told her.


"Why?" She asked and stared at me.


"A creature, possibly an elemental, told me that we have to leave this land so we can live." I explained and an expression of despair washed over her face.


"Are you sure?" She asked and I looked away.


"Yes." I said and then what came out next I couldn't have stopped even if I had wanted to. "I love you and I wouldn't lead you into unneeded danger."


This didn't lead to a kiss but merely an embrace that said so much more.
----------------------------------
Sushi, Sake, and Tanuki Blog aka Companion to Rig's World

Sushi, Sake, and Tanuki Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment