Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chronicle (2012)

Title: Chronicle

Director: Josh Trank

Starring: Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell, and Michael B. Jordan

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2012

Personal Rating: 4.5/5

Oscars: N/A

Basic Plot: Three high school friends gain superpowers after making an incredible discovery. Soon, though, they find their lives spinning out of control and their bond tested as they embrace their darker sides.

Compared to Other Found Footage Movies
I am not a big found footage movie sort of person. I tend to not see them that often. The one I can remember the most is The Blair Witch Project which sucked major ass. But that is a rant for another day. So when I found out that it was a found footage movie I was a little nervous. However, the many positive reviews calmed any fears I had. I agree with the reviewers who said that Chronicle is a found footage movie that people who don't like the sub-genre will like.

A New Look at the "Super Hero" Genre
Many super hero movies are about a person getting a super power(s) and then deciding to do good. That is not the case in Chronicle, however. And it works! These are three teenagers and, of course, their minds wouldn't go towards saving the world. Steve is going to be a politician, Matt is just a guy, and Andrew is abused by his father. So each one handles his own powers differently.

The Apex Streetlight
The final fight scene is great. However, there is one part that made me go: WTF?! Earlier in the film Andrew called himself the apex predator (apex predator is at the top of the food chain) and believes he's the strongest of the three. So in the final fight scene there is a point where Andrew crashes into a streetlight and then falls down. He then doesn't move for a minute or so.

Final Thoughts
Near the end of this movie I was squeezing revrezner's hand because I was so into the movie. People who want to see a good super villain movie should see this. You pity Andrew and yet know he is wrong. I fully agreed with Andrew throughout the movie but not the extremes he went to. So what happens at the end made me sad for hours afterwards. This is just my personal theater experience: one guy started saying rude comments during the epilogue so I wasn't able to fully hear what was said then.

No comments:

Post a Comment