Tuesday, February 28, 2012

11/22/63 (Stephen King)

Title: 11/22/63

Author: Stephen King

Released: 2011

Rating: 5/5

Basic Plot: Jake Epping goes back in time to try and stop the Kennedy Assassination.

How The Book Deals with Time Travel
I love time travel. It's one reason I love the Terminator franchise. You can handle time travel in many different ways, so I was excited to see how King handled it. Let me just say that it was a great portrayal of time travel. The dangers that are inherent in King's version of time traveling can create chaos (even if the person time traveling has the best of intentions).

The Romance
I'm not going to be talking about Sadie's ex-husband in this part, if you were wondering. I'm talking about how the romance with Sadie affects Jake's decisions he makes. I think if there wasn't a romance with Sadie his choice at the end of the novel wouldn't have been as difficult.

Historical Fiction
This might sound strange: but even though this novel involves time travel, it is a historical novel. The good majority of the novel focuses on the 'Land of Ago' (aka The Past). While this could be boring, what Jake encounters is more than enough to make up for it.

Final Thoughts
I love Stephen King. And was overjoyed that Jake Epping (the main character) was able to use the fact that he's an English Teacher to his advantage while visiting the past. King's son (also a writer) did a good job at telling King to use a different ending. Which I think helps the book. This book does involve sex and violence. But those used to King's writings will already be used to that. Nothing was too extreme for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment