Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Green: Remnants (complete)

I was driving and Plague was asleep beside me. I was new to driving, or at least I didn't have any memories about it from before the lab, and so I was concentrating very hard on the road. Plague had already driven a lot on our mission and so I had decided to practice while he slept. I liked that he trusted me with his life.


I had trusted him with something much more valuable last night. I had come out of the shower when I saw Plague lying on the bed. It wasn't a fancy bed by any means, just a cheap motel one. I wasn't surprised, though, our relationship had been growing. He was taking things at my speed, which was faster than it was slow.


Nodding my agreement, Plague took me through my first sexual experience. Well, my first that I could remember. The enjoyment I got to being so close to Plague was exhilarating. However, the physical feelings that I experienced were not as enjoyable. He was kind enough not to do anything too rough or extreme.


By the end of the night I had grown comfortable with gay sex. It was enjoyable but, somehow, lacking in an area I couldn't figure out. Plague and I had a conversation afterwards and he reassured me that it wasn't unusual for virgins to be frightened. I then realized I would have much more time to grow closer to my lover. And I wanted to grow as close to Plague as I could in every area.


I shook my head and concentrated on the road. I, Matthias, didn't have time to think about Plague right now. Making sure I didn't crash was much more of a concern. Finally the gas station was in sight and I pulled up.


The only one that paid any attention to me was a bum. I got out of the car and started to pump gas. All throughout this the bum just continued to look at me. It was uncomfortable to have such a gaze thrown at me. While Plague did sometimes stare at me, it was full of adoration. The bum's gaze, however, was judgmental and ready for a fight.


After I filled the car up I walked to the bum. I was scared for my life and didn't know if Plague could wake up in time to save me. But, on the other hand, he had trained me to fight. I was a beginner, but could hold my ground.


When I approached the bum I gave him a signal. It was made up of sounds and gestures. The combinations wouldn't make sense to a random person watching. It would just seem like I was yelling at the bum.


The bum looked at me closely and nodded. He told me a location in Sante Kol, New Mexico where the people we were looking for were located.


I walked to the car, got in, and started to drive to the location that the agent had given me. Though I'd always think of him as a bum.
-----
Sante Kol, New Mexico was a little hard to find. But Plague and I were finally able to find it. The small neighborhood had a foreboding atmosphere. As Plague was now driving, I was free to worry. Worry that I would get Plague hurt because of my stupidity.


Upon driving up the house's driveway, I put my gun into my hand. Mine was small and not all that powerful. That was okay by me since it meant that if I messed up I wouldn't kill Plague. I got out and turned to see Plague hold his own gun. Much more powerful but also controlled by trained hands.


Nodding to each other we walked quickly to the front door. Though my feet's movements were quick, it felt like time slowed down and sped up at the same time. I wasn't ready for an attack at this time. But the mission had to be obeyed. If not, I would never find out the secrets of Gralg.


When we were a foot away from the door a gun shot was fired. I froze and then I fired my first shot. With that one shot my worries slipped away. Other shots followed and then I felt a hand on my shoulder.


"You were good, Matthias." Plague's voice said and I turned to see a smile on his face. Looking around the room I saw that the people were merely injured and not dead.


"How many of those were mine?" I asked.


"Enough." He said. I didn't know if that was a bad or good thing. "Now help me make sure that they don't die."


The people we 'helped' didn't seem happy about it. The faces I looked at were either scared, angry, or a combination of both. When we were done, we tied them up.


After a minute I was finally able to calm down enough to inspect myself. I couldn't find any wounds on myself.


"Are you okay, Plague?" I asked. I was more worried about him than myself.


"Not a scratch." He replied and smiled at me.


"What do we do now?"


"You stay here, watch over these people, and wait until I return."


"Return?" I asked.


"I need to search the whole house." Plague explained. "Besides, I know what to look for better than you."


"Fine." I said and shrugged.


He put his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry, you'll get your turn."


I put on a small smile and he left.


A few seconds after Plague left one of the men asked, "What's happening, John?"


My name wasn't John, but that man was speaking to me.

"What did you call me?" I asked the man.


"John." The main repeated.


I shook my head. "My name is Matthias."


"Dammit, John, Henry must have done something to you." He said. "Your father is Henry Johnson. My name is George Hunder."


I sat by him, making sure that my guard wasn't lowered. It was impossible to know if George was telling the truth. His ass, along with his group, had been kicked. Plague and I had entered with hardly any resistance. I was simple minded, yes, and didn't have all of my memory. This made using the promise of knowing my past a good strategy.


I thought for a moment. Only Makija and the scientists at the lab would know about that. I was sure my impact upon everyday life wasn't great at all.


"Were we friends?" I asked George. If he said yes it would make believing him nearly impossible. Of course he would want me to think that he had been my friend. A friend would let him escape. I, not knowing him, wouldn't.


George shook his head. "We knew each other, but we were never friends." He looked me in the eyes. "I couldn't get that close to you because of your father."


"What was wrong with my father?"


"He was controlling you and you were scared." He looked around the room at his comrades and then turned his attention back to me. "You were the son of a scientist and all you were allowed to be was a janitor. Know what the worst part was?"


I shook my head and George replied, "He must've been doing things to you for years. The last day I saw you, you looked horrible. After that, it was impossible to find you." He laughed. "Hell, even finding your father became impossible."


"What was John like?" I asked.


"He was a good man. I hardly know more than that." George said. "And that's all I need to know."


I heard footsteps and pointed my gun at Plague.


"Jumpy?" He asked with a smile.


"Yeah," I replied. "Jumpy."

Plague took a second look at my face. "Are you okay, Matthias?" He asked and then looked at George. George became completely still as he realized Plague was who he had to be worried about. I wasn't much, but Plague could cause serious damage when he wanted to.


"Someone causing you problems?" When Plague said 'someone' he looked at George to show who he was talking about.


I shook my head. "He wasn't harassing me or anything."


"Bullshit." Plague said. "So what's your name?"


"George Hunder." George replied.


"So, George, what are you doing here? We tracked a Gralg tip here."


"We were experimenting with Gralg. That is true."


"Even though you knew it is illegal?"


"What does it do? Why did it become illegal?" I asked. I realized that this could be one of the few chances I would get an answer to the question.


"The side effects." George started. "For most people it makes them rage instantly upon it being put into their mouths. There are a few that don't get that reaction but, instead, get the intended reaction. The intended reaction is helping the mentally disabled become like everyone else."


"So you were experimenting to make it better?" Plague asked.


George shook his head. "I knew that it wouldn't become legal anytime soon and...there was someone who needed Gralg." He paused for a moment. I assumed he wasn't lying due to the sadness in his eyes. "I, and my group, were experimenting to be able to hide it better. We were trying to make it into a plant. Unfortunately some escaped. We don't know when or how. Well, at least the exact time."


Plague crossed his arms and turned to me. He was making me part of the decision process. Even though I was untrained he was giving me a chance.


"He does have someone." I said to Plague.


"But he started an outbreak of Gralg." Plague turned to George. "I'm going to call the police but I'll tell them to go light on you for Matthias' sake."


I was going to say 'Thank You' but I realized that wouldn't be good. I thought he knew what George had told me. Or at least that George knew who I really was.


Plague left the room to call the police. I was left alone with George and his group. Unlike the last time, there was no talking. The police came and took George and his group. Plague stood by me.


"Don't worry," He said. "We'll figure out this Gralg business and then you can find out who you are."


I nodded. John Johnson. That was my real name. If George was telling the truth.
---------------
The Green Blog aka Gralg Contamination

No comments:

Post a Comment