Saturday, May 5, 2018

An Unexpected Child

This is inspired by a writing prompt found HERE.

The writing prompt is: Person A and B are trying for a child with no success and begin to lose hope. One day Person B, after feeling dizziness coupled with a headache at work, visits their doctor and discovers that they are finally expecting, much to the joy of both them and Person A.

This is a Game of Thrones fanfic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

Feel free to comment below with a writing prompt for me.

The witch had told me that I would never again bear a child. What Jon had told me in the Dragonpit had given me hope. After the first and last coupling with him, I was still barren. During the War for the Dawn I admitted my true feelings to Jorah. We had tried many a time during the war for a child, but my womb was still barren.

"Do you still think there's hope, Jorah?" I asked my husband and king.

The scent of our latest coupling was thick in the air. My head was on his chest as I tried to find hope. As I tried to feel that there was at least one child that I could raise. My sweet bear was silent and I knew why. He too was beginning to lose hope after all this time. People could be expected to hope for only so long.

"I won't stop trying." Jorah reassured me.

"Thank you." I replied.

A few days later I was sitting on the Iron Throne as a commoner stood before me. Jorah was beside me and also listened to the man's complaints. The commoner was complaining about something I couldn't hope to change. He was stating a grievance that was more than trivial. It was annoying enough to give me a headache. Looking for a peaceful solution was more than difficult in my current state of mind.
"Will you help me?" The commoner asked angrily.

"I don't know what I can do." I replied honestly. "But I will-"

"No you won't. You will only say petty words to make me leave. I want an actual solution."

"I can't interfere directly in your problem. It will take some time to figure out how to help you."

"And in the meantime 'more important' matters will suddenly appear."

Finally I could deal with him no longer and stood up. But, at that moment, the room started to spin. If not for Jorah I would've fallen to the floor. There was shouting and the commoner was taken away.

I was quickly taken to my chambers where Jorah didn't leave me side. He squeezed my hand and that gave me comfort. It also gave me confidence as the maester walked in. He was old, like all of those from the Citadel that served royalty, and had a kind appearance.

"Have you been late?" The maester asked after a few preliminary questions.

"Only by a few days." I replied. "Nothing for certain."

"Then that solves it."

"Solves what?"

"You are experiencing morning sickness, Your Grace."

I turned to Jorah and found my smile echoed by him. After all this time, after all this waiting, I would finally have a child. Not just any child, but a child who shared blood with my sweet bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment