Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Crossing the Divide 92

This is a Game of Thrones/Resident Evil crossover fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders. For Resident Evil I'm referring to the movieverse.

This chapter has been edited due to content. I have made small edits throughout the chapter. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

“House Kaari.” Jorah said.

His voice had seemed to say every letter individually. As if each letter had its own significance. It was an odd thing for him, but today was an odd day. After two hundred years of ruling Westeros, we had both agreed to give the reins to someone else.

“If our children don’t disappoint us, our House will continue to rule the Seven Kingdoms.” I said as I finished up packing.

It was hard to pack for a place you had no idea where it was. I was in our room at the Red Keep.  A room that would be passed down onto one of our children. I had decided to honor the customs of my House and have a set of trials for my offspring. Tomorrow the new ruler of House Kaari would be announced. Jorah wanted to leave before a new king or queen was declared as he knew we might very well be dragged into staying.

“I am sure they will make us proud.” Jorah reassured me. “They won’t make the people mad enough to overthrow our children by conquest or by the special elections.”

After the war there had finally been time to restructure. One House would always rule the Iron Throne while each part of Westeros would send a representative to King’s Landing like I had planned before reaching the Vale. It was a start for democracy in the Seven Kingdoms and had already started to break the wheel. A wheel that Daenerys had wanted destroyed before she had gone mad.
Jorah walked over and put a hand on my shoulder and I squeezed it. I almost took his hand and put it on one of my ****. ******* right now would be relaxing but I couldn’t relax that way. Not until we got to wherever we were going. The roaring of dragons both made us turn and look outside. For two hundred years dragons had started to become a part of the world yet again. A yell of a wyvern soon followed and I smiled at the sound of the creatures playing.

“Jeor will miss us.” Jorah said. “It’s good that we at least got to say good-bye when we visited the Eyrie.”

“He’s a father now and wants to take care of his children.” I replied with a sad smile. “At least until they grow to adulthood.”

“Do you really think your plan is safe?”

Safe? No, I didn’t think traveling realities was safe. But it was the only way to make sure that our people didn’t turn to us ever again. The world had to move on and as long as they knew we could be contacted, there was always the possibility they would turn to us. I had thought about going to Sothoryos but ever since the alliance with the Nieth I couldn’t escape there. They thought of me as a deity and so there was the chance they would ask me for advice. Possibly on orders from the Iron Throne.

“It’s the best thing we’ve come up with.” I replied.

“We could stay here if you wanted, my love.” Jorah told me. “You gave up one reality just to be here. You shouldn’t have to give your home up. We can live in the Eyrie for the rest of our days. In the winter we could travel north to spend time with the Ice dragons. We don’t need to do this.”

After I had left the Nightmare for the final time I thought that I could stay here. That realization had brought me such happiness. I had held a celebration for it under the guise of it being for the people. I had told the majority of people that the celebration had been for all the hard work the people of Westeros had done. Those who had dragons had put on a show. The biggest showoff had been Lei. The saddest thing about living so long was seeing others die of old age. It had been a sad funeral that day when Lei had died. I had first thought that I would only live as long as my dragon but then Alexander had brought up a point I hadn’t thought of: now that I was truly Lightbringer I would never die. I was as much a sword as a human. Jorah, sharing my life, would also get the same lifespan.

“We do.” I told him. “Us being here will make it easy for people to turn to us. And you know me, I won’t be able to turn away from a cause. We have to leave now before another conflict starts and I feel compelled to stay.”

“You do have a tendency to help those in need.” Jorah said with a slight smile. “If we run into a war in another reality I’m sure you won’t be able to help yourself.”

“Not every reality is at war. There has to be instances of peace.”

I put a hand on Alexander. It had taken a lot of thought to decide what to do about my sword. Alexander was made to help my House rule. It gave its wielder the ability to see past memories as well as being a good weapon to fight with. Try as I might I couldn’t give it up. So I had crafted a Valyrian blade similar to Alexander and put a copy of its memories in the new weapon. The most painful part was putting my own memories in as…the process is difficult to explain. But it is more than painful in a way that is beyond words. I have been tortured but making the new sword was a new level of pain I didn’t know existed.

“You’re still going to take Longclaw?” I asked and Jorah nodded.

“House Kaari doesn’t need another Valyrian steel blade.” Jorah replied. “One is enough for our children to fight after.”

“The people of Westeros have grown used to our children.”
Jorah and I chuckled. The first few Kaari that had hatched were very sought out after they hit puberty. They had the beauty that House Targaryen was known for. The Nieth even fell in love with them. One or two of our children were now living in Storm’s End with their Nieth husbands and wives. But the children I got from Jon were not our only children. Most of my children came from Jorah. A good majority of the children I had from him had powers. They also had no problem finding mates.

Too soon Jorah and I took our bags and started to make our way out of the Red Keep. We would walk to the Dragonpit and then leave Westeros for good. After we left our room there were guards and Rasiki lining the hallways. They all bowed their heads as their queen and king passed by. All of their faces were strange to me. Ser Barristan Selmy was no longer Lord Commander of my Queensguard. No longer was Ser Davos Seaworth my Hand. I wanted my father, Benjen Stark, to see me off but that wasn’t to be. He hadn’t even been able to celebrate the end of the war as he died when the Night’s King did. No one I had known during the war was here to see me off. Lei wasn’t here to greet me with her wit that had become greater once the war was over.

Even though we didn’t have to, I walked through the throne room. I touched the Iron Throne one last time. I looked at Jorah and saw a sad smile form there. The first time I had been in this room I was a prisoner. Another time I had drank moon tea as a means to torture myself for Cersei’s amusement. Another time Jorah had been revealed to be Azor Ahai. Another memory was me making love to my husband on it. Jorah and I could **** once we arrived in the other reality. For now I would remain queenly.

After a nod to Jorah I finally made my way out of the Red Keep. All of our children were currently recovering from the trials and so couldn’t be here today. I had said my good-byes to them before their trials. We had gotten rid of as many tears as we could then. I was leaving more of my children and that cut into my very being. How I wished I could not feel such honor as I did. Maybe in the reality I ended up in I could have more children. Children I didn’t have to leave.

“Queen Rin Kaari and King Jorah Mormont, we are sad to see you go.” A Rasiki said as two bucks were brought out. “I am glad to live in a time when I can see two of the people who helped bring down the reign of House Targaryen. That House is now left for only the odd person to discover. I am aware that you may worry what will happen after you leave, but I assure you that the Rasiki will always be loyal to House Kaari. We will protect all you have done to Westeros.”

Jorah and I bowed to the Rasiki. Both of us held our tongues. Daenerys Targaryen had been put down in history as a monster. To not upset the peace, I hadn’t cried out about it so only a few knew the truth. Some maesters and some that studied on Dragonstone knew the truth but didn’t care about clearing her name. As long as a few knew the truth I was happy. Jorah, though, had to be consoled whenever Daenerys was mentioned as a mere monster. I imagined I would have to be doing that later.

I hopped onto my buck and Jorah did the same for his. I loathed horses and had decided not to ride one today. It had taken some time to find bucks of decent size. I ran a hand through its fur and found it to be groomed. It was so much better when a buck was dirty and smelled of wilderness. It helped me feel a sense of how powerful the creature was. Having the animal groomed made the moment less powerful moment than it should have been. Yet that was the way with humans. They had to have everything clean to be considered worthy of royalty. It was something I wouldn’t mind leaving behind in this reality.

I lead the way with Jorah beside me. The men gathered around followed. Not everyone joined in this ceremony and I didn’t mind. Others had things to do and troubles I couldn’t begin to imagine. Troubles I would no longer be able to help with. I looked up and a wyvern flew down low as if it were saying good-bye. After the wyvern flew back up I could see dragons gathering. Their cries sounded like an odd version of a song as it they were singing me good-bye. I turned to Jorah and saw him look in amazement. I recognized one voice.

Viserion was leading the pack, his skin as white as new fallen snow. He hadn’t yet accepted a new rider and none from House Lannister had been able to mount him. A few had tried and then had died. He was the only immediate family that remained in Westeros. He was the only one with the lifespan that was comparable to mine. I changed my vocal chords so that I could imitate the dragons flying high above. Their colors ranged from Viserion’s white to green to red to blue. They were colorful except for Chris who was the only one of Viserys’ dragons to come here today. Chris was had been the one to cut me off from the Nightmare forever. It was fitting that the dragon bearing his name would be here today.
“Easy.” Jorah said softly as our bucks were frightened.

“They will be glad once they can run away from the creatures.” I said. “Best for all of us if we get this over quickly.”

Like going away would stop the pain. I had thought my steps away from my pack’s territory had been difficult but I was proven wrong today. Going away from all I’d ever known was a much higher level of pain. I might return to another Westeros reality in the future, but it wouldn’t be the same. It would never be the same. Things would be different and people might not exist. What if I returned to a Westeros without Lei or Arya? What if I returned to one where Daenerys had gone mad with no one to stop her cruel reign? What if I had to kill her yet again?

I turned to Jorah and he tried to smile. The rest of the walk was in silence as more and more people joined in. More and more people decided to walk with the Queen and King one last time. One last time to show their appreciation and support for the two hundred years of peace that might be at an end. When the Dragonpit was in sight a bard started to sing and others joined in. I didn’t listen to the words in fear that they would make me break down.

After years the Dragonpit was now completely open and so I would have an easy time flying away. A few of the walls had crumbled away into nothing which gave me just enough room to fly away. I got off my mount as did Jorah. I handed him our bags and then turned to the large crowd. I resisted squeezing my love’s hand for comfort.

“It has been an honor serving as your queen these two hundred years.” I said loudly so everyone could hear. “It has been an honor helping Westeros rebuild after the War for the Dawn. It has been an honor to let Westeros become more than it was before. It is with great sadness that I leave you. I had fought so long ago to have a place here and it hurts to give it all up. It hurts more than I can tell any of you.”

I took my sword out and held it high so that it caught the sun’s light. All at once the crowd around me bowed low. Old men and young women bowed as if I were some kind of deity. Throughout my time as queen I had tried to make them see me as human, but that had never worked. People wanted to worship a goddess and not a human. The next ruler would have a lot to live up to. The next ruler would be one of my children and so I trusted them.

“I do not leave you without hope.” I told them. “I leave you with a ruler of my own blood. I leave you with the strength to carry on. My passing will not be the end to Westeros but a new beginning. Life is but a circle with no end. You survived the dead and you will survive anything else that the gods send your way.”

I sheathed Alexander and positioned myself for my transformation. For the first time I focused on every little part of my transformation. I focused on the way I stretched and my arms turned into wings. I focused on how the raw power of my dragon started to course through the very core of my being. I focused on my neck stretching out and the fangs that formed in my mouth. I focused on how my skin turned into snow colored scales. I focused on how all my senses improved.

Once the transformation was complete I just stood there. I could barely turn my head with how large I had gotten. So I had to resist watching Jorah as he climbed on me. A few brave people came up to touch me. The words they said were prayers. They were trying to get power from me. One even going so far as asking the gods that I return once Westeros had need of me again. Even if I could speak now I wouldn’t ruin this farewell. I wouldn’t have told them that I would never return here. No god or mortal could convince me to come back here.
“I say farewell to you also.” Jorah said once he and our bags were secure around my neck. “I am honored that I was able to be forgiven by all. By the gods, by my house, and by you. The farthest I have ever been is Essos and today I go even farther than that. I go with my wife, my queen, my Lightbringer to places only the gods can reach. To places far away that I don’t care to go to. But it is my duty and so I will.”

Carefully I took off. I did so slowly so that I could spend more time in my home reality. I wanted more time before I would leave this place forever. Much too soon I was in the sky and flapped my wings which took me higher and higher. Alexander and I had gone over how I had traveled before and came up with a way to navigate realities. Maybe our plan would work and maybe it wouldn’t. In any case gaining altitude wasn’t needed, it was just a way for me to increase my time here.

“You can do this, my love.” Jorah said and lightly kissed my neck.

I turned my head and saw Viserion catching up to me. We flew around King’s Landing and talked in a way that only we could understand. He dove under me and brushed my belly with his head before flying beside me. He cried out in a way that sounded both like a lover and a brother. A cry that was romantic and platonic all at once. He was crying out for me not to go, I realized. I gave a cry of my own and watched as the other dragons gathered around me.

Viserion gave me a nod of his head as he finally accepted my passing.

With one flap of my wings I left my home reality behind forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment