Friday, December 13, 2013

Total Recall (2012)




Title: Total Recall

Remake of: Total Recall (released in 1990)

Based on the Short Story by Philip K. Dick: We Can Remember It For You Wholesale

Director: Len Wiseman

Starring: Colin Farrell, Bokeem Woodbine, and Bryan Cranston

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2012

Personal Rating: 4/6

Oscars: N/A

Plot: A factory worker, Douglas Quaid, begins to suspect that he is a spy after visiting Rekall - a company that provides its clients with implanted fake memories of a life they would like to have led - goes wrong and he finds himself on the run.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nostalgia Factor
I am one of the few who have seen this movie, but haven't seen the original in full. Now before you fanboys and fangirls attack me, just know I didn't watch a lot of films in my youth. I was a much bigger bookworm. However, I am familiar with the original and all the marks it has left through the years. So I know how much fans of the old film must view this remake. But this movie is good on its own merits.

No Mars
Yes, there is no Mars in this film. And that really doesn't make it bad. From what I've seen and heard of the original movie, the whole movie had a rebellion plot. Guess what? This movie keeps up with the secret agent part and him going to the rebel's base. Plus the big bad of the movie is Walter White! Er...Bryan Cranston.

Special Effects
This movie just looked beautiful to me. The ships as well as every little thing. I am aware of the fact that looking good isn't the mark of a good movie. But it's wonderful nonetheless. It doesn't look like the original and that's not a bad thing. Having better special effects is a plus. However, I remember the original doing a better job at making the worlds looking worn down (or that could be the poorer film quality).

Final Thoughts
I realize that remakes are always judged more harshly than most movies. The fanbase from the original is extremely picky about what it wants. It is the rare remake that exceeds the original. I don't think it's always because the remake is bad, but the fanbase of the original is against people messing with their baby. The remake of Total Recall is good on its own merits. One change is that there, from what I've heard from people more familiar with the original than me, is less ambiguity in this film than the original. However, there are still moments where you are made to question if our leading man is dreaming everything or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment