Saturday, December 21, 2013

Fringe: The Zodiac Paradox (Christa Faust)



Title: The Zodiac Paradox

Series: Fringe

Author: Christa Faust

Released: 2013

Rating: 3.5/6

Basic Plot: During an experiment William Bell and Walter Bishop accidentally bring the Zodiac Killer into our world. Now they must stop him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Fringe
I loved the show Fringe. Hell, I still do. My favorite character, hands down, was Walter Bishop. The hottest character for me was Peter Bishop. The one of the Fringe team that always seemed to be ignored was Astro...I mean Astrid Farnsworth. I am so thankful that the fan support was able to keep Fringe on-air for five seasons. So when I heard that there were going to be Fringe books I was excited. I was hoping they'd explore Walter after he went to the future with Michael, but we didn't get that. However, I don't hold that against them.

The Zodiac Killer
I like the real life references. The killer is called Alan and Graysmith is mentioned a few times. I like seeing the Fringe take on the Zodiac Killer. Adding him having radioactive powers and also being from the redverse just drew me in. I admit I'm a b-horror movie fan and a premise like this stimulated that love more than anything. However, I didn't like that a full resolution of the character wasn't given. Why was he radioactive? What mental problems did he have that made him kill people since it seemed he had to appease something?

Walter Bishop
Walter is my favorite character so I was glad to see him returning for this prequel series. Like in the tv series he's a funny character but with a good heart. However, I was expecting more of the Walter seen in the flashback episodes who was a little more heartless than the Walter we see in the majority of the tv series. This didn't bother me enough to hate the Walter in this novel.

Final Thoughts
I judged this book by trying to remove my expectations. I tried searching this on Fringepedia (the Fringe Wiki) to hopefully get a better idea of this book. However, it's not on there. I know on the Terminator Wiki some books aren't on the site as well as there not being enough info on other books. So if there are contradictions between what this book says and the Fringe tv show please tell me. While we don't get a great idea of who Alan actually is, we do get a reason for Walter and Bell to invent cortexiphan and start the cortexiphan trials.


No comments:

Post a Comment