Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Green: Last Chance 4

Seconds dragged by as I decided what to do. Plague had been my guide, protector, and lover since the beginning. Not the exact beginning, but very close to it. I had grown with him in ways that mere time could not measure.

Before today he had been a human that would always be by my side. Even when in my lust, and stupidity, I had slept with someone else. A lovely woman who had made me feel something that I could never feel with a man. Not even Plague.

He had forgiven me, but now the rage in his eyes showed that memory as the one that was fueling him on. As Plague was an infected, he had become driven mad by the memory. It was hard for me to think of the infected Plague as anything but the rational Plague that I was used to. I thought I could say the right words and he would abandon his madness.

But that wasn't true and I had to learn to accept that.

Plague continued to scream about Jillian and my slip of loyalty. The words he said rung true and my gun started to shake. I had to make my choice now.

Pulling the trigger only took a few seconds, but the damage would last much longer. Plague's corpse fell down and I tried to look for a sign that he was thankful to have been put out of his misery.

However, he was like the rest of the infected in that his humanity hadn't been returned to him.

As I thought about Plague's death and the fact that I killed him, my gun seemed to shoot at the other infected without me controlling it. I didn't care about dying now and wondered why I had decided to shoot him. He who had loved me and didn't have any control over his madness.

While I wasn't a soldier by choice, but by necessity, I hadn't fully learned how to control my emotions. I knew those that did the majority of the fighting could hold back any feelings until after they were safely inside a base. I hadn't yet learned that particular trick.

For now tears came down my cheeks and I didn't think of wiping them away. There would just be more after anyways.

After a few minutes I was able to recall the mission and why I found myself in Kentucky. If I didn't get the cure then Plague would have died in vain. I would complete this mission for him and after that...the future would happen tomorrow and so I'd just focus on the now.

The infected had backed away, at least for the moment, and I noticed something. Of course I had been distracted before and so hadn't noticed it.

Signs that the infected had entered the building were there. Maybe there was better protection inside and so these signs meant nothing. Whatever the case was, I raced inside to make sure.

I realized after I entered through the doorway that my hope was short lived. The infected had broken through the windows and so the door being closed wasn't odd. However, the building was trashed. Blood of infected and non-infected alike littered the floor and walls.

I kept running to make sure that the scientists hadn't been killed. Well, the fact was that I needed to make sure that the cure was intact. That sounded callous to myself, but Plague was dead and I didn't care who else died now.

I finally got to the lab and stared at the sight. A lone infected was feasting on one of the dead scientists and it looked at me. I stayed as still as I could and looked around for the cure. My eyes found a small vial. That must be it.

I raced and grabbed it a few seconds before the infected turned its eyes on me and attacked. Killing it was easy and I felt glad that the mission was over. Well, it would be over once I got to the car and left Winchester behind for good.

Then the sounds of more infected came as I turned towards the lab door. I started shooting at them and running out of the building so that I could get to the car.
-------------------------------
Main Links for The Green

No comments:

Post a Comment