Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Green: Last Chance 2

The atmosphere in the car was tense. We had been driving for awhile and getting gas had been a chore. A little taste of the battle yet to come. If there was going to be a battle and not a massacre. Plague and I had come close to dying when we had stopped to go to the restroom. We both didn't want to stop but the drive wasn't short enough that we could make it without relieving ourselves at least once.

I looked at Plague and saw him remaining calm. I checked my own expression in the side view mirror and didn't like what it revealed. My face looked like it was holding back a breakdown. I tried to control my face and finally managed to make it similar to Plague's.

He turned to me and smiled, but then his face returned to his former calm expression.

A few minutes later I saw the town come into view and felt fear like I hadn't before. This was it. This was the final move towards humanity's salvation. And my first look at the city showed that our task was going to be far from easy.

Plague stopped the car and we quickly got our weapons as the screaming in the distance continued. I steadied my hands as I gathered my weapons for this venture. I looked at the food and reminded myself that Plague and I would have a picnic once this mission was over. I cocked my gun and looked at Winchester.

It might've been a beautiful city in the past, but now Gralg was all over the buildings and ground. Inspecting my surroundings I saw movements of the infected. We had been noticed.

Turning to Plague I saw him looking at me.

"This is it." He said and we kissed briefly.

"For good luck?" I joked and a hint of a smile was shown on his lips.

We then put on our masks to protect us from any airborne Gralg that decided to come our way. I hated the new rule of wearing masks as they felt uncomfortable on my face. But I knew that every one had to stay safe.

Plague set a slow and steady pace as we came close to entering the city, but I just wanted to run. I hated waiting because danger felt more real that way. Waiting allowed my mind to wander to places that I wanted to keep hidden. And those places were meant to stay hidden or else I'd lose my sanity.

After an eternity the waiting was over. An infected came towards me and I shot it. I yelled in joy as the possibility of surviving became real to me. I was reminded that celebrating too early is dangerous as a bullet flew inches behind my head and killed an infected.

"Tha-" I said and turned my attention to the infected that were quickly coming after us.

I hid behind a trashcan after battling more infected and rested for a second. I had to calm myself down or else I'd be useless to every one. I had to save the world so I had to focus.

Once an infected came up behind me I was drawn out of my own thoughts. I kicked it and it fell down while grabbing my leg. I shot it in the head and got up quickly.

Where was Plague?

I started running around shooting down the infected in my way. Blood filled the places where I walked, but I couldn't find him. When I thought he was dead or worse I heard a gunshot. There he was and I battled my way to the small store.

We nodded to each other and a woman's scream made us turn our heads to watch. The infected were backing away from this one woman. They were excited. Had I passed other uninfected people? It was possible because my mind was only focusing on the infected. It was those people that were dangerous.

As her screams increased and she fell down with her legs spread, I knew what was going to happen. I didn't want to focus on the future. I didn't want to focus on the thing that was slowly coming out of her.

The blur's head came out and fear increased in me. While the infected were dangerous, the blur was smaller and faster. It would be hell to make sure it didn't kill me or Plague while also focusing on the infected.
--------------------------------------
The Green Main Links

See All The Green Chapters So Far

No comments:

Post a Comment