Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Jobs (2013)


Title: Jobs

Director: Joshua Michael Stern

Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, and Josh Gad

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2013

Personal Rating: 1/6

Oscars: N/A

Plot:  The story of Steve Jobs' ascension from college dropout into one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of the 20th century.
--------------------------------------------------------

Ashton Kutcher is Great
I hate this movie with a passion. I could spend hours repeating what I find wrong with it and passing out would be the only way I'd stop. However, Kutcher pulls off a great performance here. He is the only good thing in this movie. As with a lot of the cast members, he looks very similar to Steve Jobs. Kutcher plays a convincing egomaniac who doesn't make many lasting friendships. Indeed, the real life Jobs was not a very easy person to work with.

The Plot Doesn't Care About Itself
Seriously, it doesn't. I love b-movies and even those kinds of films have a better idea of what makes a movie than this one. It gives you a plot point and then never mentions it again. The biggest example of this is Jobs' daughter Lisa. You see him thinking his girlfriend is cheating on him with a mutual friend, Jobs dumping his girlfriend when he thinks she's pregnant with their mutual friend's baby, denying that the baby is his, and then suddenly Lisa is on his couch.

The Soundtrack
I am not one to talk about music. As that's the case I usually don't talk about the soundtrack of a movie because it doesn't touch me or I don't feel I am adequate enough to talk about it. But for this movie I know enough to know that the soundtrack sucks. At first it was boring but by the end I was wanting to get out of the theater for the sake of my ears. I can't describe why I was so pained by the soundtrack, but I was. No, I'm not willing give it a second go to find out why I feel this way about it.

Final Thoughts
revrezner has said that this movie isn't accurate and has provided sources that also confirm this. So this film is neither a good movie nor is it something to see to find out about Steve Jobs. Aaron Sorkin is set to make a film about Steve Jobs that is supposed to be much more accurate than this crap fest. I would suggest waiting for this to come onto DVD/Blu-Ray if you feel you must see it. Even then I'd suggest renting it since you won't want to see it a second time.


No comments:

Post a Comment