Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Green: Last Chance 3


The screams were too loud to bare. I couldn't tell if they came from me or the infected chasing me. Every chance I got I shot back at them. I couldn't stop moving and focus solely on them or else I'd never arrive at my destination. The blur made its final battle cry as I shot it down.

I wanted to shout in joy and celebrate killing the abomination that had been chasing me for what seemed like eternity. But was probably only a few minutes. Minutes that would make it hard for me to sleep tonight. If I lived long enough to fall asleep. Or if I could find a bed that would allow me to become calm enough to dream.

"Plague!" I shouted and shot an infected that appeared from nowhere. It probably had appeared from somewhere, they weren't supernatural after all, but my fear was blinding me. Not good.

"Plague!" I shouted again and had to dodge an infected. My movements appeared slower to me but I still had to fight. I couldn't lie down and die. I still had to find Plague and get to the lab. I wouldn't fail this mission.

I continued to call Plague's name and look for the lab through the hoard of infected. Soon after the blur had been born we had been separated. I couldn't recall the exact reasons we were separated but knew that the infected had begun to attack in an increased fervor shortly before.

The lab seemed to be in sight and then I tripped. Three of the infected took those precious few seconds to attack me. I punched one, hit another, and shot the third. I wasn't going to die without Plague. Not even God himself could go against that one demand.

Standing up I felt my purpose renewed. I was going to get to the lab that was now very close to me and then find Plague so we could get out of Winchester. In the movies my lover showed me, there had always been a downpour to signify a dramatic scene or moment. But the weather here had become bright as the sun came out.

I ran towards the lab and shot at the infected. Now there was no fear in me as my goal was in sight. Another blur came at me and I barely shot it in time. I touched the lab's outer wall and felt happiness. Our Superiors were wrong to doubt Plague and myself. Of course we could get this job done.

We hadn't been involved in the majority of the fighting, but I was far from untrained. I shouted random sounds and shot at the approaching infected. Waiting was all I had to do now. Surely Plague would've figured out where the lab was and would be arriving shortly. There would only be a little more time until he arrived and then we could get out of this place.

What if he had gone inside? No. I knew he wouldn't go in unless I was with him. He was afraid I would get myself killed without him.

The temptation to go in was getting great. If I just got the scientists and their cure I could wait for Plague. He would be very proud of me.

Then I saw Plague's form coming towards me. But something seemed very off. The way he walked was like an infected. Maybe he was blending in. Yes, that was the logical conclusion. Plague was clever and I was surprised that tactic had never occurred to me.

In a few seconds I found my rationalizations torn apart. I couldn't deny what I saw. If I denied it I would be dead. But what was the point of living anymore if it was true?

Plague's mask was hanging off and there was a bit of green on his lips. Those lips I had kissed earlier with a good luck kiss. His face was contorted in an angry expression like Thomas Savan had had on his.

"You cheated on me with that whore!" Plague shouted and came at me.

My gun quickly pointed at his head and my mouth was unable to speak. If I shot him then I would live. But was living without Plague worth saving my life?

Plague didn't slow down and my gun kept its aim for a headshot.
----------------
Main Links for The Green

All Chapters So Far

No comments:

Post a Comment