Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Green: Last Chance 1

It seemed like a lifetime ago that I woke up in the lab and didn't know what I was. I knew what I was now and that scared me at times. But that was to be expected. I was a clone and so was I really me? That question had to be set aside as Plague and myself were making a report to our superiors.

We were in an elementary school classroom. That's what it used to be, at least. Now it had been assigned as a base for the army and those who fought against the people infested by Gralg.

I looked at Plague and calmed myself down. It wasn't that the people frightened me as much as what our report contained. The world had been ending and now there was only time to throw one final punch before everything crumbled. I didn't mind the odds when there was hope, but there didn't seem to be any of that now.

"We have a solution." Plague said and our superiors just looked at him with interest. "The scientists in Winchester, Kentucky are just about to finish their work. Once that is done we should have a shot at curing the infected and immunizing every one."

Our superiors started talking in hushed tones to each other before turning back to us.

"And what do you think, Clohn?" One of them asked.

I was proud at having my new name being used. It was an honor to have my past recognized. Not because my past was good, but because I know knew it. I knew where I came from.

"I believe that is our best option." I replied. "These scientists will be our last chance against stopping the end of the world. If you're worried about the risk, Plague and myself can go. That way you won't lose a lot of men."

"Though I am loathe to single out any one person as being important," A different superior said. "You and Plague are two of our best men. I would think it would be more prudent to consider the fact that both of you might die on this mission."

"With respect, sir," Plague replied and moved closer to the front of what used to be a classroom. Already the effects of the Gralg infestation could be seen here, though the actually Gralg had not yet been spotted on the premise. "We are hardly the most useful people you have at your command. There are other more experienced people that would be able to take our place."

Our superiors again talked to each other before saying anything to us. These moments were the most stressful as having to wait for an answer got very stressful quickly. If Plague and I weren't allowed on this mission then I'd have to twiddle my thumbs wanting to do something. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad for Plague, but it would be torture for me.

"Matthias, don't worry." Plague looked back and whispered to me. I gave him a half-hearted smile and he turned to face our superiors again.

Finally our superiors turned to us.

"We will let you get the scientists out of Kentucky. If you know you are about to fail the mission, turn back. We won't risk you if you purposefully put yourself into harm's way." The one who had spoken first said.

We saluted our superiors and then left to go back to the small office that we were using as a bedroom. Upon entering I sat down in a chair.

"You're nervous?" Plague asked me.

"I'm excited." I said. "But, yes, I'm also nervous. What if they're right and we're risking our lives for nothing? Wouldn't it be better to just wait for the end of the world than dying trying to stop it?"

"We won't die. Besides, do you really want to sit around here and just do nothing?"

"Thought it worked out well last time."

"I think we're recalling events differently." Plague said with a hint of a smile.

"But, yes, doing something is much preferable to sitting around and doing nothing." I replied.

"I need you to stay sane until this is all over."

Looking at his face I knew that tonight might be our last peaceful night together if the mission didn't go correctly. If it turned out the scientists didn't really have a cure then the world would continue to be taken over by the infected until all human life was gone. If Plague died then I didn't know what I'd do. At least in the first scenario I knew I could fight in place of thinking too deeply. But what was the point of living in a peaceful world without Plague by my side?

"Yeah, until this is all over." I said while trying to keep the pain from my voice.

"I'll be fine." Plague replied and took my hands in his own. "This mission will be a success and then we can start a life together."

We kissed and then spent the entire night without letting go of each other.
----------------------------------
I packed up what I would need for the mission. Food, clothing, and weapons. My excitement to be doing something was kept in check by the worry that things wouldn't go as planned. It was unlikely that this mission would go smoothly.

I sat down in the passenger seat and watched as Plague sat down in the driver's seat.

"We'll be back to normal soon." Plague said and started the car.

"And have all the pancakes we want." I replied with a hopeful smile.
----------------------------------------------
Main Links for The Green

No comments:

Post a Comment