Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fifty Shades Darker (E.L. James)

Title: Fifty Shades Darker

Series: Fifty Shades Trilogy

Author: E.L. James

Released: 2012

Rating: 1.5/5

Basic Plot: Ana learns more about Christian Grey and their love deepens.
----------------------------------------------------------

The Abuse
My hate for this book doesn't come from me being a prude and only doing the missionary position in bed. Instead, my hate for this book comes from the fact that it shows an abusive relationship as the ideal relationship. Christian Grey is controlling of Ana to the point that he buys the company she works for. While he is able to tell Ana to put his past relationships to the back of her mind, lord help the man who even glances at her. Other people have pointed out the fact that he is taking away her connection to people piece by piece. Those more familiar with abusive relationships will be able to point a lot of things out. I don't think any reader, even the younger ones, will get fooled. The fact is that the less mature you are, and the less experience you have with the real world, the easier the mindset that 'being in a relationship with someone like Christian is okay' is to get into. That is what scares me about books like these getting published.


The Sex Is Meh
If you are thinking of checking out this book because the sex scenes are awesome, don't bother. Even though Ana and Christian have sex like rabid rabbits, it's not really as extreme as people talking about it say it is. The sex scene in the elevator at a restaurant is really the only one I was interested in (and that due to the fact that having sex in public is interesting to me). There are maybe two other scenes, at most, that would be worth talking about.

There Is No Real Conflict
Yes, things happen in this book. However, nothing really horrible lasts for long. If there is some conflict being hinted at, it's resolved quickly. The biggest betrayer of conflict comes near the end of the book when Kate finds out about the contract that Christian wanted Ana to sign in the first book (Fifty Shades of Grey).  Don't get your hopes up about it progressing logically or even lasting more than a few pages. This is what happens with any real conflict in the book. By the end of the book I knew that any conflict would be quickly resolved, but I wanted Kate to react to the news better. Well...better meaning she'd react to it worse but it'd be better because there'd be conflict.

Final Thoughts
I am glad to have finished this book. Though I know that one day I'll get to reading the final book in this trilogy. On my twitter I was tweeting last night about some of the comments I saw about this book. One of them said that since Fifty Shades Darker (as well as Fifty Shades of Grey and Freed) were originally fanfiction that of course it was going to suck. As a writer and reader of fanfiction I can promise you that there is some good stuff out there and that Fifty Shades is just one of the worst pieces of fanfiction out there. If you are one of my less mature (maturity and age being different) readers and are thinking of checking this book out: just remember that if you ever find yourself in a relationship with someone like Christian Grey you should get out!


No comments:

Post a Comment